PDA

View Full Version : Mayor of London

Jog On
25th April 2008, 13:55
Not long to go now.

For those of us affected – who will you vote for and why?

Yes the poll’s coming!!

Bagpuss
25th April 2008, 14:05
Surely Dick Whittington is a shoe in?

HYpno27
25th April 2008, 14:08
Where's the they're all lying, womanising wastrels (apart from the other one of course, who may lie but doesn't womanise) :ohwell

cailin maith
25th April 2008, 14:10
If I lived in London I'd vote for Boris :)

PAH
25th April 2008, 14:12
Where's the they're all lying, womanising wastrels

Is that where they dress up as Margaret Thatcher whenever they go down the shop for a bag of coal? Maybe that's just a northern thing.

BrilloPad
25th April 2008, 14:16
Whewre is the Matt O'Connor option?

:mad :throw: :fight: :tantrum:

snaw
25th April 2008, 14:17
I honestly can't think of a shittier choice.

Makes you wonder if that really is the best London has got to offer.

Can't stand red Ken, for the obvious reasons.

To paraphrase - I wouldn't trust Boris to operate a mop. I wouldn't trust Boris to run Trumpton. I wouldn't trust Boris to help me cross the road. I wouldn't trust him to run me a bath. etc etc. Maybe in the home coutnies, maybe a minor cabinet post - but not a major financial capital, multicultural city etc etc.

Then there's the gay ex copper, and the rest.

I mean, FFS. What's the point.

Moscow Mule
25th April 2008, 14:21
I shall put the gay ex copper as choice number one, then Boris as number two.

I can't stand Ken and all of his self-publicity.

<made up but probably true>
If he'd maintained the advertising budget from pre-mayor days the council tax would be 15% less.
</made up but probably true>

Bumfluff
25th April 2008, 14:23
After seeing Boris in live debate last night there is no way I would vote for him, he comes across as total frigging idot, I wanted to like him but I think he make London a laughing stock, he is like a school boy. On the other hand I've never really had a problem with Ken, his frank admission that he went for the Olympics not for 3 weeks worth of sport but for the money is fair enough. I really hope for the sake of London Boris doesnt get in.

The gay copper comes across very well though, I think its gay copper, Ken then the independent bloke who used to be a boxer

Zippy
25th April 2008, 14:27
Not enough options!

Where are the Greens, UKIP, English Democrats and the God Squad?

PAH
25th April 2008, 14:32
Not enough options!

Where are the Greens, UKIP, English Democrats and the God Squad?

On the other side of the ballot paper.

Dow Jones
25th April 2008, 14:39
Boris should do less debates/interviews/etc as he's overdoing it atm. He's trying to be all things to all people as opposed to saying what he truly believes. Even so, he is much less of a cynic than Ken - who has some good points - a power-crazy egomaniac crony-festering dictator much like Mugabe, who doesn't give up.
As most pointed out, there is a 2nd choice mayor which you can use - also there is an extra ballot that you can use for a small party, so that they get 5% and get a voice on the London assembly, like UKIP, Respect, BNP, or whoever takes your fancy.

KathyWoolfe
25th April 2008, 14:53
After seeing Boris in live debate last night there is no way I would vote for him, he comes across as total frigging idot, I wanted to like him but I think he make London a laughing stock, he is like a school boy. On the other hand I've never really had a problem with Ken, his frank admission that he went for the Olympics not for 3 weeks worth of sport but for the money is fair enough. I really hope for the sake of London Boris doesnt get in.

The gay copper comes across very well though, I think its gay copper, Ken then the independent bloke who used to be a boxer

I do like Boris but there's no way I would vote for him to sit on a parish council, never mind in Parliament or as boss of a major city. He comes across as a bumbling idiot.
Admittedly you'd know he was a bumbling idiot rather than just suspect the rest of them being idiots but there's no way I'd have the likes of him running things.
Trouble is, although Ken is a likeable enough person, I don't think that he is good at running things for the residents of the city. While he may run the city for the benefit of an ephemeral concept of "The City", what he does is not much to the benefit of residents as a whole, but then I suppose that may be true of every town,city and borough council and probably the government as a whole.

So who do you choose?....the most probable choice will be to stick with who you know on the theory that at least you have a fair idea what to expect, sadly this means Ken.

Bagpuss
29th April 2008, 14:49
Interesting mayoral debate:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRJVBqvd04

PAH
29th April 2008, 14:54
Interesting mayoral debate:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRJVBqvd04

:rolleyes:

I'd say more, but last time I did that Xeno nearly unplugged me from the matrix.

Lucy
29th April 2008, 14:54
Too slow... (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/28304-london-mayor-debate.html)

gingerjedi
29th April 2008, 14:55
As I don’t live in London or ‘oop neuorth’ I’d vote for Ken… you deserve him. :moon:

PAH
29th April 2008, 14:55
Too slow... (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/28304-london-mayor-debate.html)

Yep, you are. :D

Lucy
29th April 2008, 14:56
Yep, you are. :D

I meant the fluffy one.:bang:

Bagpuss
29th April 2008, 14:57
Lucy I already posted it, keep up!

Lucy
29th April 2008, 15:01
Lucy I already posted it, keep up!

My link is to where it was posted on here by someone else about a week ago.:eyes

Board Game Geek
29th April 2008, 15:04
Since the City is about business first, why don't we have a proper businessman like Sir Alan Sugar as Mayor ?

Bagpuss
29th April 2008, 15:05
You're losing it Lucy, calm down dear!

Lucy
29th April 2008, 15:06
You're losing it Lucy, calm down dear!

Don't call me dear! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ii0IViPMjvY&feature=related)

Moscow Mule
29th April 2008, 15:12
Since the City is about business first, why don't we have a proper businessman like Sir Alan Sugar as Mayor ?

That would be nice, unfortunately most successful business people make the decision to stay well out of politics.

Board Game Geek
29th April 2008, 15:13
Aye MM and that speaks volumes in itself...

SueEllen
29th April 2008, 15:25
BTW Matt O'Connor has pulled out. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7366662.stm

I've voted already.

I've not voted for Boris as seeing him in debates confirmed he is an idiot and having him represent London on the international stage makes me shudder.

Board Game Geek
29th April 2008, 15:34
Mr O'Connor is best known as the founder and spokesman for the campaigning group Fathers 4 Justice

Oh stunning !

So he siphons off votes which could have gone to a Ken-Contender who did have the willpower to stay the course, thus letting Ken win by default !

Bravo that man !

Anyone smell a conspiracy ?

Ruprect
29th April 2008, 15:59
having watched the debate I'm still unconvinced by boris. I don't think that will matter however as I think he's going to win anyway....

Personally I don't really mind what ken's done for London, but want to stick fingers up at Gordon during these elections... but it does seem like cutting off nose to spite face.

Tricky...and still undecided.

IR35 Avoider
29th April 2008, 16:08
To paraphrase - I wouldn't trust Boris to operate a mop. I wouldn't trust Boris to run Trumpton. I wouldn't trust Boris to help me cross the road. I wouldn't trust him to run me a bath. etc etc. Maybe in the home coutnies, maybe a minor cabinet post - but not a major financial capital, multicultural city etc etc.

Ken said the biggest thing Boris had over organised was a staff lunch at The Spectator. Mathew Parris said in The Times that that was ridiculous: his secretary would have organised it. I suspect Boris would have been having a good day if he remembered to go to it.

I will be voting for Boris. So will the two scaffolders who where working outside my window the day he announced he was running.

Hopefully Cameron will put in suitable people to actually job, and Boris will go back to being funny, once the dangers of humour while campaigning are behind him.

I've an instinctive dislike of Ken, yet in terms of delivery I'd have to give him 9 out of 10 for the congestion charge alone. (I would have given him 10 if he'd done better on some minor details and not tried to narrow the roads and lengthen red lights.)

ratewhore
29th April 2008, 16:28
Boris was my MP before I moved. Never had a problem with him. Yeah, sometimes he comes across as a buffoon but Red Ken is a coont - end of...

oracleslave
29th April 2008, 16:36
Red Ken is a coont - end of...

:yay:

DimPrawn
29th April 2008, 16:44
Boris was my MP before I moved. Never had a problem with him. Yeah, sometimes he comes across as a buffoon but Red Ken is a coont - end of...

:yay:

Ruprect
30th April 2008, 15:22
Did one of you Shysters build the Londonelects web site? its been down for 2 days now...:rolleyes: