• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face to face interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face to face interview

Current gig coming to an end next month. I have an interview arranged for next Friday and it's face to face. This is the first non-telephone interview since I started contracting in 1998! In fact only the second in my career!

Pimp claims it could be a very long term role and they want to see me to make sure they get the right man.

Any thoughts on this? I've been out of the country since 2001 so is this the norm in the UK these days?

Yes, it's perfectly normal for pimps to spout any old crap to get you to go to the interview.

Seriously though, I've had more face-to-face than phone interviews, perfectly normal to go straight into a face to face meeting.
    Although if it is massively out of your way to get there then you might want to insist on a phone chat first.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyP View Post

Any thoughts on this? I've been out of the country since 2001 so is this the norm in the UK these days?
      It's perfectly normal in the UK.

Almost no UK client will give you an offer on the basis of a Phone call, and I have some point blank refuse to offer an initial phone interview at all.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyP View Post
        Current gig coming to an end next month. I have an interview arranged for next Friday and it's face to face. ..
        You'd better hope the interviewer doesn't have a bad squint. Happened to me once, and it's really hard to make eye contact
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've never had a phone interview. I did have a face-to-face interview where I turned up half-an-hour late (having got lost in Northampton's one-way system), and the first question was "Can you start tomorrow?"

Comment

A phone interview is OK if is going to be the only interview, but this is uncommon.

An 'initial' telephone interview hints at permie-style interview and all the problems that go with it. It means there are multiple stake-holders who are not authorised on their own to make a hiring decision. Even if you get the role you won't be able to get anything done as you'll be hamstrung by competing parts of the business (whether you care or not is a different matter...)
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Last 2 contracts were phone interviews only. In fact one of those was an interview with a chap while he was driving home. His opening gambit was 'Look, I'll not lie to you, it's a crap job'.

Bizarre thing is I took it, and it was crap (but very decent money).

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
                Last 2 contracts were phone interviews only. In fact one of those was an interview with a chap while he was driving home. His opening gambit was 'Look, I'll not lie to you, it's a crap job'.

Bizarre thing is I took it, and it was crap (but very decent money).
                Me too, phone interview only, but I tend not to be in the country I'm applying for the job in. Last time I was looking pimp asked me to come to the UK for an interview, I said I'm on a beach in Goa what would you do. He said 10.00 on Monday ok for a phone interview
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Had a couple of phone only interviews I think, mostly real ones. Nearly always passed the latter, I am just so fantastic and sexy and generally impressive.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I don't do beauty contests, so it's been tele interviews only since 2002, but then I'm in a niche market so not so much competition. I just insist on TI's now as it's so much more convenient. Easy for them, easy for me and there is no lost earnings or wasted travelling time. During the last couple of weeks in a contract I can easily sneak off for a quickie 15 mins interview (actually it's often just a chat about the project).

Comment

Working...
                    X