• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Ireland

Hi all,

I could just ask my accountant, but you lot normaly have more info...

Do any special tax laws or anything apply if you get a gig in Ireland?

Or is it just the same as working here?

Cheers,
    Sal
    xxx
    The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Hi all,

I could just ask my accountant, but you lot normaly have more info...

Do any special tax laws or anything apply if you get a gig in Ireland?

Or is it just the same as working here?

Cheers,
    Sal
    xxx
    I think you can invoice from your UK company. I always invoice from an overseas company when I work there. Pay is lower than London, costs are about the same.
    Are you thinking of going SA?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Thanks for coming through for me on this one guys

AP - thanks hun. Yeah I'm thinking of going, but I dont really know what the VAT laws are - does Ireland have its own HMRC type thing?

I'll still invoice from my UK company, and I know about the whole declaring gains and losses regarding Euro invoice amount V exchange rate at the time of getting paid etc.
      And I know that as I'm a UK company, and they're a non UK company I can neither charge them nor claim VAT

All that sussed...I'm just wonderring if there's anything else I'm missing? My accountant baically said "I dont know anything about Irish tax laws - find out yourself"! TYpical.
      Last edited by SallyAnne; 30 April 2008, 21:06.
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Worked in Ireland years ago, can't actually remember how it all worked, was in a Guinness induced haze most of the time.

Likely you're thinking about Dublin, great fun but expensive and forget taking a car there, traffic and parking is about the worst in any city I've been in.

Ryanair can't be relied on either.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Thanks for coming through for me on this one guys

AP - thanks hun. Yeah I'm thinking of going, but I dont really know what the VAT laws are - does Ireland have its own HMRC type thing?

I'll still invoice from my UK company, and I know about the whole declaring gains and losses regarding Euro invoice amount V exchange rate at the time of getting paid etc.
          And I know that as I'm a UK company, and they're a non UK company I can neither charge them nor claim VAT

All that sussed...I'm just wonderring if there's anything else I'm missing? My accountant baically said "I dont know anything about Irish tax laws - find out yourself"! TYpical.
          It depends on how long the contract is for 6 months or less non-dom no Irish income tax to pay, sorted.

Irish tax year starts 1st Jan so do 6 months this year and you can do another 6 months next year. I may end up there at the end of this contract for a few months.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            It depends on how long the contract is for 6 months or less non-dom no Irish income tax to pay, sorted.

Irish tax year starts 1st Jan so do 6 months this year and you can do another 6 months next year. I may end up there at the end of this contract for a few months.
            I've spent all day looking into this, and I'm still bloody confused. I just dont have the brains for this contracting lark...

The initial contract is 6 months, but it will possibly last 18 months.

Assuming it's just a 6 months gig though....when I invoice would I put VAT on? (at 21%)
            And then are you saying that I wouldn't have to pay this VAT to the Irish tax man?!! I'd get to keep it, as long as I work less than 6 moths per year?

(cause I ******* LOVE that answer!!)
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

I've spent all day looking into this, and I'm still bloody confused. I just dont have the brains for this contracting lark...

The initial contract is 6 months, but it will possibly last 18 months.

Assuming it's just a 6 months gig though....when I invoice would I put VAT on? (at 21%)
              And then are you saying that I wouldn't have to pay this VAT to the Irish tax man?!! I'd get to keep it, as long as I work less than 6 moths per year?

(cause I ******* LOVE that answer!!)
              If you invoice an Irish company with VAT on a non Irish company invoice they will not pay the VAT, payment will be NET.

You have two issues your company and your private tax.

Company is ok, but if you stay longer than 6 months, you should pay personal tax in Ireland. You can take your car to Ireland, but after one year they will take it if you don't re-register it.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                If you invoice an Irish company with VAT on a non Irish company invoice they will not pay the VAT, payment will be NET.

You have two issues your company and your private tax.

Company is ok, but if you stay longer than 6 months, you should pay personal tax in Ireland. You can take your car to Ireland, but after one year they will take it if you don't re-register it.
                Ah right (thought that was a bit too good to be true!)

So, I dont have to worry about VAT then basically? I neither claim for it, nor pay it?

Personal tax - like self assesment? But I'll be paying that here still wont I? My company is still registerred in the UK, and I work for them, so surely I'll have to keep paying everything the same here? Will I have to apy 2 lots?

(I told you I was confused!!

(I really appreciate this help by the way)
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Company tax-

First reply I've got from Osk.ie, some Irish accountants, is if the contract is under 6 months, there is no possibility of extension and you are only present in Ireland for 183 days use your UK Limited company.

(You can go on their website and email the nice lady a question about what set up is best for you as you may be staying longer. I know you can set up an Irish company but you need to pay a bond. )

The Irish revenue have a nice section on VAT. Basically looking at it if you are not registered for VAT you don't claim it otherwise you could end up in trouble with the tax office.

Personal Tax- Ireland has a double taxation treaty with the UK which means you should only being taxed on the income once. You will still need to complete a self-assessment form for the UK.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just spoken to someone else* and have been told:

1. Try and use a smaller agency OR one without an office in the country of working. Larger ones try and push IR35 legislation on you which doesn't exist in Ireland.

2. If staying less than 183 days use your own UK limited

3. If staying longer use an umbrella if you want to claim expenses of up to 10,000€

4. You can however set up your own limited. In Ireland limited companies need to have more than one director. If using your own limited take out up to 30,400€ per year to avoid being in the higher tax bracket. You will only be able to claim a rental tax credit of about 300€ per month and no travel expenses. (If you are a couple you get a different tax credit.) When you close down the company you will pay a tax of 12.5% of any money retained in the company.

5. You can use an offshore scheme and the choice of scheme depends on the agency, contract length and circumstances.

*Didn't hear details properly as was listening to the accent.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X