PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh! I'm in trouble!

MarillionFan
28th April 2008, 06:00
New boss has come along and burst my bubble!

Oh well, it was only a matter of time. New director has instigated a formal HR disicplinary procedure against me for undermining him in front of another director by being unprofessional('I told him he didnt know what he was talking about') Which would have been fine if I hadnt done it in front of someone else.

He believes I have ruined my credibility. Which in fact isnt true as what I did was undermine his credibility, of which he actually has none as so many other people disagree with him(me included). But as I now work for the guy it means I must tow the line or ship out!

Whats the contracting market like at the moment?

bobhope
28th April 2008, 06:11
I would have thought you'd use the tried-and-trusted MF solution:

belt the guy one.

daviejones
28th April 2008, 06:16

Oh well, it was only a matter of time. New director has instigated a formal HR disicplinary procedure against me for undermining him in front of another director by being unprofessional('I told him he didnt know what he was talking about') Which would have been fine if I hadnt done it in front of someone else.

He believes I have ruined my credibility. Which in fact isnt true as what I did was undermine his credibility, of which he actually has none as so many other people disagree with him(me included). But as I now work for the guy it means I must tow the line or ship out!

Bloody permies...always bleating on!!...:D

Sorry MF, sounds like you have to either work through it, or lay him out and get back to the contracting market!!!

MarillionFan
28th April 2008, 06:30
I would have thought you'd use the tried-and-trusted MF solution:

belt the guy one.

We had a chat before I left the US and I apologised as it appears his feeling were hurt. Thought nothing of it at the time or afterwards. He was OK about it and we also had a debrief

I get home from the US yesterday to find an email thanking me for the trip and stating he had thought about it and was going instigate the procedure. His pride is hurt more than anything, but I do work for the guy, he's a complete f-cking idiot.

May have to book a trip back to the US to give him a smack.

eliquant
28th April 2008, 06:56
the guy depends on that job and it would be v. difficult probably for him to get an equivalent job out there and taking him down a peg in front of Alan Sugar must have rocked him.

Still don't know how it warrants a disciplinary action against you .... I mean its only 'an opinion' that you expressed .....

The real question here is are we living in a Stalinist state in business where you just follow like sheep and reconfirm others beliefs and hopefully you won't get shot ?

threaded
28th April 2008, 07:31
Jeez, you guys. As long as they sign the timesheets whatever they want is the most wonderful thing on earth! If it is really stupid, I'll tell them once, if they do it again, I'll send an email, on the third instance I work out how much I'll invoice fixing it. :D

HYpno27
28th April 2008, 07:32
Jeez, you guys. As long as they sign the timesheets whatever they want is the most wonderful thing on earth! If it is really stupid, I'll tell them once, if they do it again, I'll send an email, on the third instance I work out how much I'll invoice fixing it. :D

WHS :yay:

EternalOptimist
28th April 2008, 07:36
If you are dealing with someone new, its probably a good idea to give them a bit of leeway. You sound like a bit of a prime-time wazzock to me.
But thats just my opinion

:rolleyes:

NotAllThere
28th April 2008, 07:41
... tow the line or ship out!...

:spel toe

The Lone Gunman
28th April 2008, 07:46
If you are a permie you have rights (even in the US I assume).
Where in your terms does it say you are not allowed to do what you did?
How you can be disciplined for being honest I do not know.

I bet you can make a mint out of this. Go see a legal bod, are you in a union? What are the odds you can prosecute in the states?

Unfair or constructive dismisal.

Wilmslow
28th April 2008, 07:50
I once muttered under my breath to a colleague to be careful about the wench opposite me as she was having some bad PMT. She overheard and ran off crying. Proving my point.

Boss seemed to be on my side!

BrilloPad
28th April 2008, 07:52
If everyone went round being honest, life would be quite unpleasant.

As contractors, we are usually far cleverer than the permies - so we have to be extra polite and tactful.

Easier said than done - isn't stress suppressing the desire to throttle someone who desperately needs it?

Xenophon
28th April 2008, 08:16
MF, you are a legend.

sasguru
28th April 2008, 08:20
Cocked up yet again, eh MF? Why is no one surprised? :rolleyes:

Lucy
28th April 2008, 09:06
Where is Mordac, MF? I miss him.

ASB
28th April 2008, 09:12
Where in your terms does it say you are not allowed to do what you did?

It'll be construed as misconduct. Should have been discussed one to one.

moorfield
28th April 2008, 09:40
New director has instigated a formal HR disicplinary procedure against me ...

Just keep replying either (1) is it because I'm gay? or (2) is it because I'm black? to any HR questions and it will all go away.

MarillionFan
28th April 2008, 10:15
Oh dear, looks like the skids are under him.

In the US he could have just fired me, but my contract is in the UK and HR have told me it's nothing to worry about.

Bagpuss
28th April 2008, 10:20
CUK's top feather ruffler is sacked once again, just why don't they get it?:laugh

Mailman
28th April 2008, 11:00

How incredibly naive of you.

It is exactly this kind of manager who floats to the top. Everyone below him can see him for the hole in the backside he is, but all the people see from above his is pretty smiling face.

Its exactly this kind of manager that you have to keep close to yourself because he will drag you up with him! :rollin:

Oh well, school boy mistake on your part me old mucker!

Mailman

Xenophon
28th April 2008, 11:02
Oh well, school boy mistake on your part me old mucker!

Good ol' MF makes a similar mistake annually.

:wink

Churchill
28th April 2008, 12:11
You sound like a bit of a prime-time wazzock to me.
But thats just my opinion

Oh no it isn't!

It's mine too!

Churchill - In "Panto" mode!

mrdonuts
28th April 2008, 15:07
if you have been there less than a year you probably have no rights whatsoever, so say your goodbyeees :wave::wave::wave::wave:

KentPhilip
28th April 2008, 21:30
Its that sort of shit that makes me 'kin glad to be a contractor.

idiots.

Peoplesoft bloke
28th April 2008, 22:10

100% agreed - I feel a duty to politely point out based on my experience if I think something is not going to work, beyond that (and a written record that I did), the meter's running and it's their issue - the joy of being a contractor is that it doesn't matter if you work for people who have no idea what they are doing as long as they pay up.

MarillionFan
29th April 2008, 06:41
100% agreed - I feel a duty to politely point out based on my experience if I think something is not going to work, beyond that (and a written record that I did), the meter's running and it's their issue - the joy of being a contractor is that it doesn't matter if you work for people who have no idea what they are doing as long as they pay up.

and thats the problem. As an ex-contractor I feel it's also my duty to point out when something isnt going to work or something is wrong. Problem is as the permie responsible for fixing issues later, it's also my problem with sorting it out when it doesnt work.

Problem here is, my boss is making bad decisions which will work for the first six months, then break and his view is, because the business didnt define the 6months+ bit then it's not his problem. Ive been here almost two years(1 as a contractor) and for gods sake I am presently having to consolidate and sort all of the bad decisions made my other people two years earlier. So I want to make sure that we dont make the same screw ups. Heres been there 3 months!

Needless to say, I tell him quite strongly when he makes a bad decision.
:eyes

expat
29th April 2008, 07:28
The real question here is are we living in a Stalinist state in business where you just follow like sheep and reconfirm others beliefs and hopefully you won't get shot ?Yup.

If you are a permie you have rights (even in the US I assume).Nope.

MarillionFan
29th April 2008, 09:35
HR has told me it's cultural and effectively to shut up or find another job as the boss is always right in the US.

Lucy
29th April 2008, 09:57
HR has told me it's cultural and effectively to shut up or find another job as the boss is always right in the US.

Or try and be tactful.:rolleyes:

Churchill
29th April 2008, 10:15

Here's a suggestion.

Grow up and learn to communicate more effectively.

HTH.

Xenophon
29th April 2008, 10:18
Here's a suggestion.

Grow up and learn to communicate more effectively.

HTH.

MF, I think Churchill is suggesting that telling someone they don't know what they are talking about is not good communication. Saying it with someone else there is even worse.

You nutter.

expat
29th April 2008, 10:18
HR has told me it's cultural and effectively to shut up or find another job as the boss is always right in the US.This is a mark of second-rate management. Itshows especially in politics, but also in the economy: if those in charge would rather not hear bad news, they will not be so well-placed to react to it.

I suspect that contrary to the usual impression of an economic powerhouse, the US actually has a second-rate economy, boosted to own-the-world status by astounding natural wealth and a whole hell of a lot of dirty play.

Peoplesoft bloke
29th April 2008, 10:34
This is a mark of second-rate management. Itshows especially in politics, but also in the economy: if those in charge would rather not hear bad news, they will not be so well-placed to react to it.

I suspect that contrary to the usual impression of an economic powerhouse, the US actually has a second-rate economy, boosted to own-the-world status by astounding natural wealth and a whole hell of a lot of dirty play.

Having worked there I totally agree and would only add that I'm sickened by their "we work harder" attitude which is simply a lie they tell themselves so much they believe it. What they mean is "we give ourselves less official holiday time to make us seem tough but then take as much time as we need off in various ways anyway"

Zippy
29th April 2008, 10:44

I'm not sure you're cut out to be a permie MF. And if 'Sir' is that much of an arse couldn't you have found a subtle way of calling him a moron?

Welcome back to contractordom mate :D

Hemingfield
29th April 2008, 12:20
Isn't it obvious. It's Einstein's law of relativity. The less collective IQ the permie's have the more IQ enriched contractors are brought on board to balance things out.

Besides - haven't you heard of the phrase : Don't bite the hand that feeds?

They haven't contracted you to educate them; you're there to fix the broken magic that make their company cogs turn.

Hem

MarillionFan
9th May 2008, 10:18
I'm not sure you're cut out to be a permie MF. And if 'Sir' is that much of an arse couldn't you have found a subtle way of calling him a moron?

Welcome back to contractordom mate :D

Oh. How odd. I just won the company 'Most Valuable Player' award after being nominated multiple times by the business. :banana:

My actual boss didnt nominate me!

Lucy
9th May 2008, 10:20
Oh. How odd. I just won the company 'Most Valuable Player' award after being nominated multiple times by the business. :banana:

Oh dear. You work in the American version of 'The Office' ?

DodgyAgent
9th May 2008, 10:28
MF are you one of these righteous "Im just being honest" pr*cks that enjoys finding problems, exaggerating them/making them as bad as they can and then plonking them on their bosses lap with a smug self satisfied grin on his face?

oracleslave
9th May 2008, 11:21
MF are you one of these righteous "Im just being honest" pr*cks that enjoys finding problems, exaggerating them/making them as bad as they can and then plonking them on their bosses lap with a smug self satisfied grin on his face?

Yes.

MF

Likely
9th May 2008, 13:05
Having worked there I totally agree and would only add that I'm sickened by their "we work harder" attitude which is simply a lie they tell themselves so much they believe it. What they mean is "we give ourselves less official holiday time to make us seem tough but then take as much time as we need off in various ways anyway"

Most permies in my team take at least 1 day a week off by the virtue of "working from home". Not that I blame them

MarillionFan
9th May 2008, 13:16

Not quite. That should read.

MF are you one of these righteous "Im just being honest" pr*cks that enjoys finding problems, exaggerating them/making them as bad as they can and then fixing them and plonking a fully working solution on their bosses lap with a smug self satisfied grin on his face?[/

In this case. Yes.

Zippy
9th May 2008, 13:23

Wow! I bet you got a lovely framed certificate of achievement too?

You done good :D

BrilloPad
9th May 2008, 19:01

:yay:

MarillionFan
9th May 2008, 19:08
"My actual boss didnt nominate me"

Classic. Turns out he did, but the nominations were four weeks back. He then tried to take back the nomination but they'd already had the trophys made!!!

LOL. Classic.

BrilloPad
9th May 2008, 19:10
"My actual boss didnt nominate me"

Classic. Turns out he did, but the nominations were four weeks back. He then tried to take back the nomination but they'd already had the trophys made!!!

LOL. Classic.

:laugh

So you are safe then?

EternalOptimist
9th May 2008, 19:25
:laugh

So you are safe then?

dont be stupid

the boss has now lost face. He has to both stuff MF and mount his head in order to recover

:rolleyes: