• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homeless people with dogs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeless people with dogs

At lunchtime today I walked past a spot where there’s usually a homeless person but this time just his dog was there whining. I felt really bad for it and it got me thinking if it amounts to cruelty for people that can’t feed, clothe or house themselves to keep pets.

I know it must be a pretty awful existence and to have a companion must be nice. I’m sure there must be some safety/security issues as well – if I was on the streets I’d feel safer with a dog. Also I’m sure it helps with begging to have a dog with you to tug on people’s heart strings.

All that aside – I wonder if it’s better or worse for the dog to be out on the streets with an owner rather than in a home?

Maybe if it’s better for them then more homeless people should be given dogs that would otherwise be impounded or destroyed?

Opinions anyone?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

Maybe if it’s better for them then more homeless people should be given dogs that would otherwise be impounded or destroyed?

Opinions anyone?
    I'm sorry, I think it's better that homeless people are impounded and then destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      At lunchtime today I walked past a spot where there’s usually a homeless person but this time just his dog was there whining. I felt really bad for it and it got me thinking if it amounts to cruelty for people that can’t feed, clothe or house themselves to keep pets.

I know it must be a pretty awful existence and to have a companion must be nice. I’m sure there must be some safety/security issues as well – if I was on the streets I’d feel safer with a dog. Also I’m sure it helps with begging to have a dog with you to tug on people’s heart strings.

All that aside – I wonder if it’s better or worse for the dog to be out on the streets with an owner rather than in a home?

Opinions anyone?

1 its illegal to abandon a pet

2 last week it ceased to be a Police responsibility to handle stray dogs, its now a local council job. They havn't been given any extra money. The RSPCA predicted packs of semi wild hounds in the UK one year from now

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I often wondered why so many had dogs until someone who worked with the salvation army told me it's because they get paid more in aid if they have one.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Hail the mighty Jog!

Alot of homeless people are men who lost everything in divorce - anything that gives them some comfort is to be welcomed.

On the other hand I can't abide cruelty to animals - neither can my gf though she seems happy being cruewl to me - I guess I am sub-animal?

Doesn't it depend on a case by case basis?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            I often wondered why so many had dogs until someone who worked with the salvation army told me it's because they get paid more in aid if they have one.
            And if they get desperate they can eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
              Good idea, use the extra money to buy some curry powder
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                . . . or . . . *ahem* . . . y'know.

IGMC
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Absolutely. A mournful looking dog on a string is worth its weight in gold, and shared between beggars on a rota system. (Not talking from experience you understand, but that's what I've heard).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Or joined in...
                    Bad lizard!
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X