• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay

I was planning to start a basic E-Bay shop and was checking terms and conditions. I don't like the sound of this, anyone got any idea what it means?

7.3 Licence To enable eBay to use Your Information, you grant us a non-exclusive, world-wide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) licence to exercise the copyright, trade mark, publicity, and database rights you have in Your Information, in any media now known or not currently known. You also waive all moral rights you have in Your Information to the fullest extent permitted by law.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I was planning to start a basic E-Bay shop and was checking terms and conditions. I don't like the sound of this, anyone got any idea what it means?

7.3 Licence To enable eBay to use Your Information, you grant us a non-exclusive, world-wide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) licence to exercise the copyright, trade mark, publicity, and database rights you have in Your Information, in any media now known or not currently known. You also waive all moral rights you have in Your Information to the fullest extent permitted by law.
    Roughly translated :

"Anything you put up on an E-Bay shop we get to use for whatever we want, wherever we want, whenever we want with whoever else we want and there is nothing you can do about it so yah boo sucks to you!"
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The really weird thing is that so many companies make the mistake of letting their legal department put this rubbish in.

It all starts when they consider the fact that if you upload, let's say, a logo for your online store, you own the copyright in that image. However, the service provider (ebay, in xogg's case) needs to be able to replicate that file across multiple servers, backup tapes, and so forth.

The legal department jump up and point out that they could be sued for making copies of copyrighted material; and being lawyers, they don't create a clause saying "You give us permission to make copies of your copyrighted material to the extent necessary to provide you with the service you require" but instead produce the kind of preposterously overblown clause cited.

We were having this very discussion at NewClientCorp the other day in relation to user-generated content (users will be able to upload and share their images on certain parts of the site), and everybody, from business folk to geeks, agreed that we would jump very heavily on anybody from the legal department who tried to stick this sort of tosh in the Ts & Cs.

If they need help explaining, in easy-to-understand terms, the technical reasons for our requiring some rights to make copies of the users' copyrighted works then we'll help them, but something that sounds like you're selling your soul to the devil is not going to be imposed on the project

Comment

Wot he said

+ if you develop a template of your own for your selling page, they have the right to use it, which means that if another ebayer likes your page layout and uses it, you can't sue them or ebay for using it.
        in other words, anything that you put in your page on ebay becomes public domain.

see no problem.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Just put up some crap, then no one will want to use it.

Comment

I hope you're going to declare all of that income from Trading to Hector...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I wouldn't bother with ebay if I were you.

I know a few people who started there and soon decided it was more sensible to run their own show. They are introducing a rule to say you must accept Paypal which means you wind up having to agree to effectively commercial/retail credit card risks and Paypal's high charges as well as eBay's.

Obviously it depends on what you are selling - but take a look on the eBay forums if you want some idea what others are saying

Comment

Thanks for answers and advice. Probably was fussing over nothing but will look a bit more to see if worth it. What I can't seem to find is, if I sign up and find it useless, what notice I need to stop. Must be there somewhere!
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  I wouldn't bother with ebay if I were you.

I know a few people who started there and soon decided it was more sensible to run their own show. They are introducing a rule to say you must accept Paypal which means you wind up having to agree to effectively commercial/retail credit card risks and Paypal's high charges as well as eBay's.

Obviously it depends on what you are selling - but take a look on the eBay forums if you want some idea what others are saying
                  Or setup an eBay shop to act as a shop window to take people to your own website.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Or setup an eBay shop to act as a shop window to take people to your own website.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd be ready to get hit for tax too if your shop gets busy.

A friend has been selling a few bits on eBay over the years. As soon as his feedback went over a thousand a letter from hector dropped on the doormat
                    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X