• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police state - You can't even go to a fancy dress party now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police state - You can't even go to a fancy dress party now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/7372578.stm

A man who sparked an armed police alert as he made his way to a fancy dress party dressed as a serial killer has criticised the "heavy-handed" response.

Kevin Oakes, a 20-year-old property manager, wielded a bladeless chainsaw as part of his outfit as Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th horror films.

But concerned people who saw him in Bicester, Oxfordshire, prompted police to send armed police and a helicopter.

He said: "It was a bit over the top and a waste of taxpayers' money."

He added: "I saw the helicopter and I thought they were having a good laugh. Then suddenly all the armed police turned up and starting shouting at me to drop the weapon.

"They were heavy-handed and getting all wound up. They were just quite rude. There were children laughing at them which didn't help.

"I didn't even have the engine running on the chainsaw and the mask was on my head, not covering my face."

I'm abandoning my plans to go to a childrens party in Leicester dressed as an Islamic suicide bomber now, complete with fake explosives jacket and copy of the Koran in my hand.

he's an idiot for walking there dressed as he was
    However police helicopter and armed response is a bit over the top
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

In this case I think the police got it right - for a change.

Suppose it had been someone about to do a Hungerford or a Dunblaine?

Actually, I reckon the guy is a bit stupid and should be charged with wasting police time. And shot.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Suppose it had been someone about to do a Hungerford or a Dunblaine?
        I thought they used guns.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Actually, I reckon the guy is a bit stupid and should be charged with wasting police time. And shot.
        Police would have been sued for traumatising the children and done under the Health and Safety at Work Act for putting the children in danger.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Just as well he didn't have a table leg in a bin bag then, or he'd be dead dead dead....
          Indeed - good job he wasn't an innocent Brazillian electrician going to work, too.

Comment

Or look Brazilian.

Comment

Originally posted by pisces View Post
              Or look Brazilian.
              Or had a brazilian...

Ooops, wrong thread.

Comment

Were they real Police?

Or just in fancy dress?

Comment

Table legs in bin bags

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Just as well he didn't have a table leg in a bin bag then, or he'd be dead dead dead....
                  Even then he'd probably be ok. As long as he isn't a hard-of-hearing Scotsman

Comment

Working...
                  X