• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Past Life Regression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past Life Regression

Anyone tried it ? (I haven't)

I'm quite skeptical about all this New Age nonsense and Religion in general (Hey let's worship the Sky Fairies !).

However, an article I read at the weekend seemed to imply that there is a growing mountain of evidence that would indicate that people do have experiences of previous lives, and know languages and people which they just could not possibly know in the modern day.

So..anyone tried it ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

BGG you win most intreresting thread starter of the year.. shame i have no experience to contribute..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Why thank you Chef !

I do try and initiate thought-provoking posts from time to time.

Anything in fact to avoid discussing the contents of my lunch, my briefcase or indeed my boxers.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

There are evil spiritual beings called demons that have been around since the fall of Satan. They have a vested interest in deceiving people. When people dabble in things like past life regression, what's actually happening is that the demons, who were around a few thousand years ago, whisper into the victims head the knowledge that they - the demons - have acquired over time.

...anyway...

I'm currently dealing with some new age nut who thinks quantum physics and, quote, "this is a result of the change in thinking from the Newtonian paradigm and the Einsteinian".

Thing is, I can do the maths for Einstein's theory of Relativity and mass/energy equivalence, and completely don't understand quantum physics (which is one of the most important things TO understand about quantum physics), so I know his talk is somewhat testicular. But it's rather like that link some kind person posted yesterday about libertarianism - two proofs presented that 1 = 2, but it's not that easy to spot the logical flaw.

Simple lack of knowledge is one thing, but I do find the hard-of-thinking intensely irritating.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          There are evil spiritual beings called demons that have been around since the fall of Satan. They have a vested interest in deceiving people. When people dabble in things like past life regression, what's actually happening is that the demons, who were around a few thousand years ago, whisper into the victims head the knowledge that they - the demons - have acquired over time.
          Yea, some of those guys are regular posters here, but you soon learn to spot them.

Comment

Just another explanation for the same phenomena.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Anyone tried it ? (I haven't)

I'm quite skeptical about all this New Age nonsense and Religion in general (Hey let's worship the Sky Fairies !).

However, an article I read at the weekend seemed to imply that there is a growing mountain of evidence that would indicate that people do have experiences of previous lives, and know languages and people which they just could not possibly know in the modern day.

So..anyone tried it ?
              I've not tried it, and dont know anyone who has. In my mind its all tied up with false memory syndrome and the reasons why we believe some things but not others, without any good (personal)evidence for either.
              I know that my memory plays tricks on me, I have had direct evidence of me being 100% confident that I remembered something correctly, then had 100% proof that I had misremembered. The memories that I believed(falsely) were vivid.
              I believe that the earth is round, but I've never seen it from space. The reasons, authoritive assertions and proofs and social concensus. I dont believe in man made global warming, even though its the same authortitive sources and proofs and social concensus telling me its true.

"I can't believe that!" said Alice.

"Can't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes."

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said. "One can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Funny you should bring that up because I did some of that last week: the past life of the price of Crude on NYMEX against US crude oil stocks.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                X