• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Playing the drums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing the drums

...hmm I was wondering, we have a guitarist who doubles up as a drummer, does a good job. How difficult would it be to learn a basic rhythm so that I can support him on drums, so that he can play guitar? Is it actually possible to learn something in an hour or two?
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    How difficult would it be to learn a basic rhythm so that I can support him on drums,
    I found it incredibly difficult when my uncle tried to teach me - hit drum four times, every second beat hit bass, fourth beat, hit other drum.

Need more practice, or I'm just a malco.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Hmm, it's fairly easy to learn some very basics, just as it is to learn some basic chords on a guitar but playing the same beat over and over can get very tiresome (to the ears) and you need bridges and riffs to break it all up which are the harder part.

Once you can do it tho you don't forget... I learnt many many moons ago at school, and haven't sat at a kit since but I still tap out rhythms on my fingers / pens etc etc
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        ...hmm I was wondering, we have a guitarist who doubles up as a drummer, does a good job. How difficult would it be to learn a basic rhythm so that I can support him on drums, so that he can play guitar? Is it actually possible to learn something in an hour or two?
        Everyone wants to learn drums. Why not go for something unusual like the bagpipes or a harp?

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
          Everyone wants to learn drums. Why not go for something unusual like the bagpipes or a harp?
          Sometimes I play the fool...

Churchill - In "John Winston Lennon" mode!

Comment

hmm so can I practice with a couple of sticks hitting the sofa ?
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
              ...because its Rock'n'Roll
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Just practice with kick and snare, forget the hi hat, toms and cymbals. Get a couple of sticks and a practice pad to fine tune. Easy.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

I was in a band with a drummer who was a bass player normally who just fancied having a go. He didn't do anything fancy, but he kept time well and we actually sounded okay.

Then we got another drummer, who really was a drummer but had never played in a band before, and he'd try and do fancy fills and end up losing time. As a result we sounded tulipe.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Drummer - someone who hangs around with musicians.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X