• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cheapest pay as you go USB/Mobile broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheapest pay as you go USB/Mobile broadband

Hi people,

Can you recomend the cheapest pay as you go usb/mobile broadband connection? around.

as they reliable at all

cheers

css_jay99

Depends how you want to do this, and how it works out for you but I use t-mobile pay as you go, and use bluetooth GPRS internet through my mobile phone. The reason for this is that data is capped at just £1 a day, no contract, and you can use it as much as you like. Also you can buy a 5 day internet pass for £2.50 so if you only use it once or twice a week it works out pretty good.

Alternatively I think 3 do a good deal, something like a tenner a month with a 1gig allowance on their mobile broadband/usb package.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
      Depends how you want to do this, and how it works out for you but I use t-mobile pay as you go, and use bluetooth GPRS internet through my mobile phone. The reason for this is that data is capped at just £1 a day, no contract, and you can use it as much as you like. Also you can buy a 5 day internet pass for £2.50 so if you only use it once or twice a week it works out pretty good. ..
      If you choose this option, don't forget you need an Internet T-mobile SIM card.

(They also do a bog-standard SIM card, or did, which doesn't support Internet access. But the Internet variant may be standard by now.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        Hi people,

Can you recomend the cheapest pay as you go usb/mobile broadband connection? around.

as they reliable at all

cheers

css_jay99

I have a 3G phone with Orange - get unlimited data after 7pm, before 7am, and at weekends. PAYG per MB (£2 I think). I can also have a days unlimited for just £1.

When in a 3G area, it really does fly - just as fast as my home broadband.

Considering I pay just £10 a month for 450 minutes and 300 texts, I think I have a cracking deal.

I think you can also get the £1 deal on a PAYG sim as well.

Comment

I'm on O2 and have their unlimited data bundle for something like £6.50 per month. I use bluetooth to access the 3.5G / 3G / GPRS Internet via my mobile phone anywhere, anytime. And to think people are paying extra for those 3G dongles!

Comment

Alternatively I think 3 do a good deal, something like a tenner a month with a 1gig allowance on their mobile broadband/usb package.
            That's the one I use, it's pretty good, apart from the cheeky hard-coded popup that appears at connection saying "connected at 7.2Mbps".... when it's rarely more than about 2Mps download and a couple of hundred upload.

I guess coverage is an issue, but I read somewhere that 3 are sharing their 3G infrastructure with another company (T-mobile?) now to improve that.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
              And to think people are paying extra for those 3G dongles!
              ... depends if you need to use your phone and surf at the same time.

Comment

As my old gran used to say "Cheap is Dear"....
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
                  ... depends if you need to use your phone and surf at the same time.
                  Er - will I be marked out as a geek if I confess that I do this? - surf using lappy via bluetooth and talk to people on phone at same time. Will probably have a brain tumour by next week.

Comment

Depends how you want to do this, and how it works out for you but I use t-mobile pay as you go, and use bluetooth GPRS internet through my mobile phone. The reason for this is that data is capped at just £1 a day, no contract, and you can use it as much as you like. Also you can buy a 5 day internet pass for £2.50 so if you only use it once or twice a week it works out pretty good..
                    Don't know how you get it at those prices as they say £4 per day. But there is a special offer of £15 per month at the moment. The gadget freak in me is very tempted, except I'm not sure when I'd actually use it.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X