• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They've all gone home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've all gone home

Looks like all those immigrants are buggering off..
    I'm alright Jack

Rats? Sinking Ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Rats? Sinking Ship?
      They got on their bikes.

After all quite a few on this board have worked aboard for the money.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        They got on their bikes.

After all quite a few on this board have worked aboard for the money.
        Worked aboard what exactly?
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

If this is true (and I believe it is) then this is the most concerning evidence I have seen for the Doom mongers on this board.

Along with borrowing, the influx of foreign workers has been supporting an economy that was due for collapse long ago.
          They were proping up the housing market by increasing demand for renters (and some buyers).
          They were keeping inflation down by taking low wages.
          They were (oddly) keeping unemployment down by allowing some businesses to keep operating.

With them gone or going there will be a massive amount of empty renters causing a drop in rent and so ex BTL property hitting the market, possibly cheap and the whole house of cards will fold.
          Business will either go bust or have to pay more for its workers. There will be a percentage of each. Thus unemployment will rocket. The dole is still a better option for some than the low wages on offer in many industries.
          The surviving businesses will have to pay more to attract staff or go out of business. Rising wages will push inflation.

We are doomed I tells yer, doomed.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

However there will be more room on the tube.

HTH
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

All based on spoutings from the IPPR

For those who don't know the IPPR is a UK think-tank with strong ties to the Labour party that claims to produce progressive ideas committed to upholding values of social justice, democratic reform and environmental sustainability.

In the mid-1990s, the IPPR was best known for its Commission on Social Justice, which provided the basis for many of the policies of the New Labour government that came to power in 1997, including the New Deal. Child Trust Funds were first conceived by the IPPR in 2000, and were subsequently adopted by the government in 2005.

So ask yourself about the timing of this announcement
              A London election now, a national election looming, a recent influential Lords reports citing migration being of little value to the UK & the floodgates to African & Asian migration still open.

The way the EU has to work is for free movement of labour between its borders - we can go to Spain, Germany, etc & they can come here - no big deal as they broadly share the same values and culture as us.

The real scandal is the influx of low skilled non-EU people from the 3rd World & all this headline achieves is a smokescreen to distract from Labours failure to enforce effective border controls during its tenure.

HTH
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

them now leaving is all a bit a of a coincidence after the reports a couple of weeks ago about people being miffed off with immigration etc...

More New Liemore spin maybe??
                I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                  them now leaving is all a bit a of a coincidence after the reports a couple of weeks ago about people being miffed off with immigration etc...

More New Liemore spin maybe??
                  I would guess that the migrants are following the money like I do. The pound has been falling against the Euro and Poland has a rapidly growing economy.

However, I do not see that this is good news for Liebour (see previous post) as migrants have been proping up the economy. If they go the country goes with them.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    I would guess that the migrants are following the money like I do. The pound has been falling against the Euro and Poland has a rapidly growing economy.

However, I do not see that this is good news for Liebour (see previous post) as migrants have been proping up the economy. If they go the country goes with them.
                    Are they though? Polish migrants tend to work in minimum and low wage jobs, and the majority of the (admittedly small) number I've spoken to were saving like mad to go home with a big pile of cash as opposed to doing much spending.

And the fact that there are fewer Polish builders may be a good thing for employment during a housing downturn.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X