• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

question: potential db lock up with Sybase SQL 'select' statement that takes long

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question: potential db lock up with Sybase SQL 'select' statement that takes long

question: potential db lock up with Sybase SQL 'select' statement that takes long time to execute ....

here it is although almost irrelevant to my question:

"select a, b, c, d, SUM(e) as f from A where a = '080429' and appl b = 'something' and d = 111111
    group by a, b ,c, d

So the question is with Sybase (and I don't have the version but am using 3.11 drivers), as with the usual readers/writers problem with lock outs in multi threading programming will Sybase then lock out all other users for the entire duration of my SQL statement that wish to perform a SQL write on table 'A' of my SQL above for the entire duration of my 'select' command above which is being executed ?

Or is Sybase a bit smarter than that ..?

remember my SQL above will be ran on the client side i.e. not a stored procedure whereas other user's SQL WILL be typically ran on stored procs.

(tbh: I think I know the answer already as I've seen the result on old SQL server once before).

Sorry, this is in the wrong area. This is the section for bikini line discussion.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      question: potential db lock up with Sybase SQL 'select' statement that takes long time to execute ....

"select a, b, c, d, SUM(e) as f from A where a = '080429' and appl b = 'something' and d = 111111
      group by a, b ,c, d

So the question is with Sybase (and I don't have the version but am using 3.11 drivers), as with the usual readers/writers problem with lock outs in multi threading programming will Sybase then lock out all other users for the entire duration of my SQL statement that wish to perform a SQL write on table 'A' of my SQL above for the entire duration of my 'select' command above which is being executed ?

remember my SQL above will be ran on the client side i.e. not a stored procedure whereas other user's SQL WILL be typically ran on stored procs.

(tbh: I think I know the answer already as I've seen the result on old SQL server once before).
      First off, what do you mean "SQL above will be ran on the client side"? Regardless of whether it is plain SQL or executing a stored proc, the SQL is run on the server.

Secondly, the locks involved will depend on the isolation level applied to the SQL being executed by any other users, how many records are involved in any updates, how many pages are affected and whether new pages must be created to accommodate an update.

Probably best you get a good DBA involved in montoring of lock objects and whether any lock hints are being applied in any of the sprocs running at the same time.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

group by a, b ,c, d

No idea about Sybase but with SQL Server you could just add "WITH (NOLOCK)" and then you wouldn't be creating any locks.

e.g.

select a, b, c, d, SUM(e) as f from A WITH (NOLOCK) where a = '080429' and appl b = 'something' and d = 111111
        group by a, b ,c, d

Comment

cheers.. I've read up on NOLOCK and it looks like the right thing.

btw in sybase its just NOLOCK without the 'with'.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            First off, what do you mean "SQL above will be ran on the client side"? Regardless of whether it is plain SQL or executing a stored proc, the SQL is run on the server.

Secondly, the locks involved will depend on the isolation level applied to the SQL being executed by any other users, how many records are involved in any updates, how many pages are affected and whether new pages must be created to accommodate an update.

Probably best you get a good DBA involved in montoring of lock objects and whether any lock hints are being applied in any of the sprocs running at the same time.

HTH
            Blimey prawn, that was actually a helpful post. Are you feeling OK?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
            X