• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK crackdown imminent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUK crackdown imminent?

I think we'll need more code words if this tulip is about to hit us fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/7373639.stm

Blogger fined for 'menacing' rant

A blogger who "let off steam" about the way he was treated by police has been convicted of posting a grossly offensive and menacing message.

Gavin Brent, 24, from Holywell, Flintshire, was fined £150 with £364 costs by magistrates at Mold.

The court heard Brent had been charged with theft offences - which have yet to be dealt with - and posted a message about a police officer's new-born baby.

Magistrates said any reasonable person would find the comments menacing.

In February, Brent was charged with 19 offences of theft and two charges under the Proceeds of Crime Act involving internet purchases.

The court heard how detective constable Steve Lloyd conducted interviews, but was not present when Brent was charged because his wife was having a baby.

'Freedom of speech'

Prosecutor Liz Bell said someone unfortunately told Brent why the officer was absent.

Brent then ranted about his perceived mis-treatment at the hands of police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

His posting ended: "P.S. - D.C. Lloyd, God help your new-born baby".

The officer and his wife saw the message and Brent, who is unemployed, was arrested at his home. He then claimed: "You can write on websites because it's freedom of speech."

In interview, he said he felt he had been mistreated and hoped the officer would not treat his child the same way.

Brent was prosecuted under the Telecommunications Act, relating to the sending of an electronic message.

He claimed he had not meant to be offensive, had used the blog "to let off steam", but had not intended any harm.

He apologised if it was perceived as a threat, offered to remove the offending words, and to write a letter of apology.

Asked if he realised how the officer and his wife would have felt when they read his comments, he said: "I can now. I am sorry. But their interpretation is different to what I intended."

Flintshire magistrates, sitting at Mold, said the blog was articulate, detailed, specific and critical of the police and the CPS.

They said any reasonable person would find the words about the baby to be menacing in the context of the overall blog.

The blog entry has been removed.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

I can see it's already started. Lots and lots of replies deleted from this thread alone.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I'll bet the blog wasn't that offensive or menacing.
      Vindictive prosecution using whatever law is avaialable.
      How many times do people say "and god help the kids if that's how he treats us".
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        I'll bet the blog wasn't that offensive or menacing.
        Vindictive prosecution using whatever law is avaialable.
        How many times do people say "and god help the kids if that's how he treats us".
        WHS

Comment

He must have had Lionel Hutz as his lawyer.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

You missed the important bit

'Flintshire magistrates, sitting at Mold, said the blog was articulate, detailed, specific and critical of the police and the CPS.

They said any reasonable person would find the words about the baby to be menacing in the context of the overall blog. The case has aggravating circumstances being the accused had previous form, being a known vitriolic and corruscating contributor to the CUK site, under the user name HRH'

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              You missed the important bit

'Flintshire magistrates, sitting at Mold, said the blog was articulate, detailed, specific and critical of the police and the CPS.

They said any reasonable person would find the words about the baby to be menacing in the context of the overall blog. The case has aggravating circumstances being the accused had previous form, being a known vitriolic and corruscating contributor to the CUK site, under the user name HRH'

You see where you went wrong there?

Comment

And.....

There is a difference between ranting and posting a comment abouts someones kid.

I dare say if someone posted stuff about coppers new kid they'd get a kicking if they did it to his face so whats different about doing it on the net.

Comment

Pure speculation without having read it but tend to agree with lone gunman. "God help your newborn baby" does not sound like a threat to me, in common usage those words mean "poor kid for having a father like you"
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Pure speculation without having read it but tend to agree with lone gunman. "God help your newborn baby" does not sound like a threat to me, in common usage those words mean "poor kid for having a father like you"
                    WHS
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X