• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

expenses - working away from home (again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

expenses - working away from home (again)

Yet another one..sorry, but bear with me!!

Just starting a new contract and am renting a flat midweek. Now I've never been one to claim lunchtime expenses...so no worries about that aspect...

Considering I have access to similar amenities that I have at home (cooker, microwave, fridge etc) should I / should I be claiming for the cost of post-work food? My conscience tells me that I shouldn't be -- however -- if rules are rules I don't want to be out of pocket!!

Any thoughts??

Ta

That depends. Are you a member of parliament?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
      My conscience tells me that I shouldn't be -- however -- if rules are rules I don't want to be out of pocket!!
      Why? Do you magically stop eating when living at your permanent residence.

I am sure you'll ask your accountant but as said before you can claim for what you like. If you need to pay BIK on that is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Why? Do you magically stop eating when living at your permanent residence.

I am sure you'll ask your accountant but as said before you can claim for what you like. If you need to pay BIK on that is the question.
        No i don't stop eating at home

I know I can claim for what I want -- should have rephrased by question to include the BIK part -- but hey ho -- think you knew what I meant

So I have access to amenities........what if I go out for a meal twice a week.....claimable (as a non-BIK type thingy) ??

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
          No i don't stop eating at home

I know I can claim for what I want -- should have rephrased by question to include the BIK part -- but hey ho -- think you knew what I meant

So I have access to amenities........what if I go out for a meal twice a week.....claimable (as a non-BIK type thingy) ??
          When you are not around on the weekend can you keep food stuffs in the flat you use mid-week i.e. in the freezer?

Do you live with other people at your weekend home and cook together?

If the answer is "yes" to any of the above questions then claim the extra expenses. Just make sure your shopping is separate and you have receipts.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            When you are not around on the weekend can you keep food stuffs in the flat you use mid-week i.e. in the freezer?

Do you live with other people at your weekend home and cook together?

If the answer is "yes" to any of the above questions then claim the extra expenses. Just make sure your shopping is separate and you have receipts.
            Thanks, that sounds like a sensible explanation!

Comment

Working...
            X