• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Strike looming?:-)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Strike looming?:-)

From the beeb,

A planned 38% increase in the minimum weekly pay for prisoners in England and Wales has been abandoned the day before it was due to come into force.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he had delayed the decision on rates to allow the creation of a new inmate contract which would encourage good behaviour.

The rise from a minimum £4 to £5.50 for work inside jails would have been the first increase since the mid-1990s.

They get paid?

Of course they get paid. Drugs, ciggies, prostitutes, Sky Sports and Alcohol ain't free mate.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
      From the beeb,

A planned 38% increase in the minimum weekly pay for prisoners in England and Wales has been abandoned the day before it was due to come into force.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he had delayed the decision on rates to allow the creation of a new inmate contract which would encourage good behaviour.

The rise from a minimum £4 to £5.50 for work inside jails would have been the first increase since the mid-1990s.

They get paid?
      It is a token payment to encourage them to work. It allows them to buy little luxuries.
      Prisons only run with the consent of the inmates.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Token payment??????

It's the minimum wage - they'll be up for IR35 investigations next!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Of course they get paid. Drugs, ciggies, prostitutes, Sky Sports and Alcohol ain't free mate.
          Just get them a copy of GTA IV each - cheaper in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
            Token payment??????

It's the minimum wage - they'll be up for IR35 investigations next!
            I think you will find that is per week.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              I think you will find that is per week.
              Oh yes - so it is!

I suppose a fiver a week isn't too bad - they can get quite a lot for that when they stroll out to the local supermarket.

Comment

Rent, council tax, water bill, gas bill, electricity bill, tv licence, food, etc, to come out of benefits or minimum wage or all of that plus a fiver all to yourself. Makes me want to go back and stay inside too.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  It is a token payment to encourage them to work. It allows them to buy little luxuries.
                  Prisons only run with the consent of the inmates.
                  I thought it was democratic societies that were supposed to run like that, not prisons.

Comment

Working...
                  X