• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle class guilt for Snaw

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle class guilt for Snaw

Here it is from two diametrically opposed newspapers

To this I will add my own anecdotal story.

in 2005 I went to a very lavish party at the home of a very rich founder of a very notorious recruitment group (it has the number "3" in it). As I bade farewell to my host someone asked him who he was going to vote for at the forthcoming election. He clearly hadnt really thought about it as he began to talk about his working class background. Eventually the "boy done good from Tooting" said that he would vote labour "on behalf of the friends that he grew up with".

Now why would he do such a thing when most of the working classes have grown up in an appalling environment that entirely relies on the state for its (poor) education, its inability to suppress crime (funny that most criminals are products of the state). After all he himself would never send his own kids to Tooting comp, nor would he be seen dead (if you will pardon the pun) in the outpatients waiting room of St Georges when he lives bang next door to one of the most exclusive private hospitals in Britain.

Furthermore does he ever stop and think or care even about how his tax is spent in helping those who are not as well off as he is. No for him to vote labour is an entirely selfish uncaring act to make himself feel better without having to make any sacrifices. "There there I voted labour sio I am one of you". Hating Thatcher is another outlet for middle class guilt; To voice hatred of her is a "right on" soft option for those (who have so enriched themselves from the freedoms that she won) wishing to give their conscience some sort of moral integrity without having to make any personal sacrifices to help out the less fortunate than themselves.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...lub_rules.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../10/do1002.xml
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Here it is from two diametrically opposed newspapers

To this I will add my own anecdotal story.

in 2005 I went to a very lavish party at the home of a very rich founder of a very notorious recruitment group (it has the number "3" in it). As I bade farewell to my host someone asked him who he was going to vote for at the forthcoming election. He clearly hadnt really thought about it as he began to talk about his working class background. Eventually the "boy done good from Tooting" said that he would vote labour "on behalf of the friends that he grew up with".

Now why would he do such a thing when most of the working classes have grown up in an appalling environment that entirely relies on the state for its (poor) education, its inability to suppress crime (funny that most criminals are products of the state). After all he himself would never send his own kids to Tooting comp, nor would he be seen dead (if you will pardon the pun) in the outpatients waiting room of St Georges when he lives bang next door to one of the most exclusive private hospitals in Britain.

Furthermore does he ever stop and think or care even about how his tax is spent in helping those who are not as well off as he is. No for him to vote labour is an entirely selfish uncaring act to make himself feel better without having to make any sacrifices. "There there I voted labour sio I am one of you". Hating Thatcher is another outlet for middle class guilt; To voice hatred of her is a "right on" soft option for those (who have so enriched themselves from the freedoms that she won) wishing to give their conscience some sort of moral integrity without having to make any personal sacrifices to help out the less fortunate than themselves.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...lub_rules.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../10/do1002.xml
    You are becoming Denny-like. Long posts that always cover the same topic.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      You are becoming Denny-like. Long posts that always cover the same topic.
      You certainly know how to hurt a man
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Yeah, that was below the belt
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Dodgy I could read your posts all day, seriously. But you only started again a day or two ago, and I wonder if this means you have slightly more time on your hands, and if that implies anything about the state of the IT contract market

Comment

Sorry DA. Was just a wind-up. As Marina says they have at least been interesting.

Comment

Sorry DA. Was just a wind-up. As Marina says they have at least been interesting.
              I just love whoever her avatar is
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You have nothing to apologise for, after all I do give it out! Anyway it may interest you to know that I have been working my nuts off recently in order to expand into the German/swiss markets.

Comment

You have nothing to apologise for, after all I do give it out! Anyway it may interest you to know that I have been working my nuts off recently in order to expand into the German/swiss markets.
                  That doesn't fill me with confidence. Is the UK getting that bad...?
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

What? The ones they have at Christmas selling sausages, mulled wine and cheeses etc.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                    X