• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Same job - new company - rate loss?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same job - new company - rate loss?

Folks

I currently contracted through my Ltd co. to Company A at Company B's site. Company A and Company B are parting ways in June so Company B have offered me a contract doing EXACTLY the same job. Someone said that have to match your current rate or is against the some employment law (tupee or something). THey have offered me 3.62 less an hour. Are they telling the truth or is just contractor wishful thinking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Wesdev View Post
    Folks

I currently contracted through my Ltd co. to Company A at Company B's site. Company A and Company B are parting ways in June so Company B have offered me a contract doing EXACTLY the same job. Someone said that have to match your current rate or is against the some employment law (tupee or something) Are they telling the truth or is just contractor wishful thinking?

TUPE is for perms I would have thought.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Folks

I currently contracted through my Ltd co. to Company A at Company B's site. Company A and Company B are parting ways in June so Company B have offered me a contract doing EXACTLY the same job. Someone said that have to match your current rate or is against the some employment law (tupee or something). THey have offered me 3.62 less an hour. Are they telling the truth or is just contractor wishful thinking?

Yep. Try to get in with the boogie woogie bugle boy from company B.
      He can be great fun at parties

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The clue is in the fact that the E in TUPE stands for "Employees"
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I would have known that if i was an employee but I’m not so I don’t!

Ok cheers, I knew he was full of sh1t.

So Company B said sign for less or we have someone with your skills who will shadow you until June. I've been here a year and the system is so complex it would take them a few light years to get to where i am. They would have to ride my colleague like Zorro to get any info (as there is no documentation) about the system. They don’t see that though. In reality we're just a headcount with a cost against it. Elan is their weapon of choice!

When the milk turns sour I’m not the type of pussy to drink it. I am stonewalling on the contract until D-day then i'll hawk for my current rate or a wee bit more whilst having a few irons in a few other fires.

Always good to have a back up when negotiating.... mum always said never throw away dirty water until you've found clean.

Comment

They would have to ride my colleague like Zorro to get any info
            When the milk turns sour I’m not the type of pussy to drink it.
            mum always said never throw away dirty water until you've found clean.
            Loving your work.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I'd walk, no mucking about. When a company does that trick it means you're on the way out anyways, and they'll just make the rest off this or the next contract a pain in the proverbials, and threaten to sue.

Don't expect a good reference either, but do get the various PMs phone numbers to pass onto pimps. The pimps'll think nicely of you for that, and you'll get your rewengee.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Is it the company offering to pay less or an agency wanting to pass less on to you?

Go for more money while you train someone up. We all know it's possible to have someone shadow you and yet not learn a thing if that's how you want it?
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Pay-cut

Nothing to do with TUPE and a lot to do with cost-cutting. Altogether it amounts to a cut of about £ 30/day, so on average say 10%. If the agency isn't prepared to compensate you in part or full, then only you can decide what you'd like to do - and it seems you have.
                  Consider your options carefully and don't over-react.
                  You are not the only one in the present climate, at least you have a choice - others haven't.

Comment

Elan have said £x take it or leave it - which is what Company have said indirectly "found someone with web skills" in the building.

I was really cool about it at the beginning... Rounding my rate up by 1.50phr.
                    Elan said NO WAY...

Then saying OK i'll come down to my current rate for a 12 months contract? In 12 months the application will be in better shape after the last developer walked (and was absolutely rubbish), with up to date documentation. I win you win I said.
                    Elan said NO WAY...

Then came the big bang... Take it or leave it or else. Its not a reflection of anything personal as the new PM in Company B has just started the hand over of the project. Doesnt have a clue what skillset we have and despite being in the office atleast 20 times has never said a HELLO or Hows its going to us. EVER. (All i've see him do is look at the Norwich City website!)

The project im on makes 2MILLION profit a year and in other areas other networking contractors are on 125 quid more a day than us developers on and they're bit isn't even profit making?

Is it Company B or is Elan telling porkies about their 6.5%??

Comment

Working...
                    X