• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BC(E) security clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC(E) security clearance

I went to an interview the other day.......

At the end the guy said that if I had any criminal convictions (excluding the odd motoring problem!) then my clearance would be turned down.

I have checked the MoD site and BC clearance is just a check on id and references.

Is this all the BC check involves – in which case it was just a ruse on the interviewers side to get somebody to crumble at the last stage ?!

In the job description the clearance level is down as BC(E), what is the significances of the (E) ? – the MoD site does not say anything about this bit!

Thanks to whoever responds ….

BC is easy to get, so long as you haven't got any dodgy convictions. No idea what the 'E' bit you refer to is though.

For what it's worth, I received SC clearance after declaring a (albeit very minor) criminal record.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

From my days at the Home Office, I recall that BC was just that, a very basic check. It was below CTC level, and obviously below SC.
      I don't believe that a criminal conviction prevents security clearance, so long as it's declared. What they don't like is discovering you have a conviction after stating you've never so much as sneezed in church.
      I used to work with a civil servant at the Home Office who had a previous conviction for assault (punishment was a fine). He managed to obtain SC level.

HTH
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Can you still get SC if you've eaten someone?
        If you're black and from a broken home.

Comment

What about if you're a giant carnviorous alien lizard?
          They get bonus points as there is a bit of a shortage of those in the civil service at the moment.

Comment

As a minority figure, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Comment

<They get bonus points as there is a bit of a shortage of those in the civil service at the moment>

That's not what I've heard...
              Perhaps you giant alien lizards don't know as much as you'd like to think.

Comment

tut tut

Back to the question please !!

so how serious would this be?

"False representation to obtain social security benefit" - contrary to the Social Security Act 1986.

This occurred over 12 years ago, received 18mths conditional discharge.

All money repaid ..................

The Police were not involved but I guess this is recorded on some other database which is used for BC searches.

Enough to stop me getting BC ?

Comment

There's only one way to find out for sure. As that is a fraud type crime, that is the second most serious crime next to murder (some would say more serious).

Comment

Hmmm. Unfortunately in this country fraud and anything involving a willy (except rape) is considered very bad (crazy country!).

The police weren't involved, but presumably you went to court. In which case there must surely be a record.

There must be a way for you to ask someone responsible for processing clearance without identifying yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X