• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryan air

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan air

Why do people fly on Ryan air? They emailed me some "special offers" which sounded really good (10 euros each way all in), but......

by the time they've charged you 8 euros to check in, 18 euros per bag, 8 euros to actually pay (by credit card) per person, it's more expensive than the regular airline flight.

And that's before you account for being dumped in an airport in the middle of nowhere at 11:30pm.

Their business model is basically to decompose the regular airline ticket and sneakily add more and more charges?

correct and in some really small airports

correct and in some really small airports they keep the check in desk open below the 50 minute departure time and if you are late they ask you to go to an office and pay a penalty charge and run back to the check in desk with the receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
      Why do people fly on Ryan air?
      Mostly because it looks cheap, I suppose. Sometimes I have flown on Ryanair for the same reason as I now fly on Easyjet every week: it goes from where I want to go, to where I want to go to.

Everybody complains about the airports in the middle of nowhere (or in Easyjet's case Luton, which is worse) but if you are also in the middle of nowhere, it can be a lot easier than getting into the city and back out to the airport.

And if the airport yo'd get to is Heathrow, almost any avoiding action is desirable, even using Easyjet (Ryanair is possibly too much).

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post

Their business model is basically to decompose the regular airline ticket and sneakily add more and more charges?
        It does really depend on where you are going.

If you are going to the middle of nowhere then Ryan Air et al with their additional charges work out cheaper than a normal airline. Also they don't always drop you off at an inconvenient time.

If you are going to somewhere proper i.e. Brussels, Berlin, Amsterdam then the normal airlines will work out cheaper.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They're my most loathed company, it's like their whole ethos is set up to rip as much cash as they can from their passengers, by any means possible, and generally treat them like scum.

I made the mistake of flying with them with my daughter (The airport in Scotland is very close to my home), and they truly are awful if you've got kids.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            They're my most loathed company, it's like their whole ethos is set up to rip as much cash as they can from their passengers, by any means possible, and generally treat them like scum.
            They are as good as and as bad as other cheap airlines.

One airline tried to make me sit on a seat of vomit.

Luckily there was another seat free on the plane.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sorry, but have to disagree. They're the worst of the lot by a country mile. IMO of course.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

i flew with these for first time at beginning of April to Nimes from Liverpool.

never again! their baggage allowance for checking baggage is 15kg per person. my small hand luggage case (the one i use for working away etc) came to 14.6kg. i'll not say how much the main case came to. the allowance isnt much when there is you, the mrs and a 6mth old baby.

they really screwed us. never again will i fly with them.
                I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It does really depend on where you are going.

If you are going to the middle of nowhere then Ryan Air et al with their additional charges work out cheaper than a normal airline. Also they don't always drop you off at an inconvenient time.

If you are going to somewhere proper i.e. Brussels, Berlin, Amsterdam then the normal airlines will work out cheaper.
                  Depends where you're going from, too. If you don't live in London you may keep finding Sleazyjet the better option, unfortunately.

Going from London ==> Use LHR or LCY. Get Heathrow express, or DLR, easy.
                  Going from 45 miles NW of London ==> allow 3 hours to Heathrow, no thanks. I'll just grit my teeth and drive to Luton.

Going from Paris ==> get RER to CDG.
                  Going from 50 km east of Paris ==> drive to Chessy, RER to Chatelet, change for CDG, non merci, rather drive through French countryside to Beauvais.
                  Last edited by expat; 2 May 2008, 08:25. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Mostly because it looks cheap, I suppose. Sometimes I have flown on Ryanair for the same reason as I now fly on Easyjet every week: it goes from where I want to go, to where I want to go to.

Everybody complains about the airports in the middle of nowhere (or in Easyjet's case Luton, which is worse) but if you are also in the middle of nowhere, it can be a lot easier than getting into the city and back out to the airport.

And if the airport yo'd get to is Heathrow, almost any avoiding action is desirable, even using Easyjet (Ryanair is possibly too much).
                    WHS

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X