• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toaster rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toaster rant

No not the Lucy Lawless/Grace Park/Tricia Helfer variety, but the kind you have in your kitchen.

A while back I needed a new one, so I went to Tescos and got one for £7! How can anything be that cheap? But I realised I'd made a mistake as it was too small to fit bread into. I'd end up having to make toast in two stages - i.e. doing it one way, then turning the bread around and doing it again.

So the other day I decided I'd had enough and bought a much bigger more expensive toaster (£20). Tried it out, and despite being much bigger externally, bread still doesn't fit!

As a designer of sorts (i.e. a software one) this sort of thing drives me mad. If your job is to design a toaster, how can you fail to consider whether or not typically sized bread fits into it? How can that not be the number one design criteria? And how is it that there's a market for selling crap that fails at it's basic function?

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Buy smaller bread

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      No not the Lucy Lawless/Grace Park/Tricia Helfer variety, but the kind you have in your kitchen.

A while back I needed a new one, so I went to Tescos and got one for £7! How can anything be that cheap? But I realised I'd made a mistake as it was too small to fit bread into. I'd end up having to make toast in two stages - i.e. doing it one way, then turning the bread around and doing it again.

So the other day I decided I'd had enough and bought a much bigger more expensive toaster (£20). Tried it out, and despite being much bigger externally, bread still doesn't fit!

As a designer of sorts (i.e. a software one) this sort of thing drives me mad. If your job is to design a toaster, how can you fail to consider whether or not typically sized bread fits into it? How can that not be the number one design criteria? And how is it that there's a market for selling crap that fails at it's basic function?

You need to cut the bread before you put it in the toaster.

HTH

Comment

You need to pay at least £100 for a toaster.

eg. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0503583/Trail/searchtext>TOASTER.htm

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Buy smaller bread

HTH
          Slimcia ( spell? ) or Warburtons Milk Roll ( http://www.warburtons.co.uk/our_prod...hite.html#milk ) should fit in either toaster without a problem.

Comment

I have two dualits and a swan, the swan was a quarter of the price and is much better

Comment

Fracking Toasters

Those Dualit toasters are very good.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Though it must be admitted that one could purchase 20 Chinese toasters for the price...
                20 chinese to make a custom toaster
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  Those Dualit toasters are very good.
                  What he said.

My previous life before IT was in catering, and they just kept going and going.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Those £5 toasters are a false economy.

Had one at uni, and after a particularly heavy session on the sauce, I came back home and put some crumpets on. Popped upstairs and started chatting to the squeeze of the time on the phone and soon forgot all about the crumpets. 30 minutes later I could smell burning coming through the bottom of the door and I went downstairs to find two of my housemates tackling a molten plastic worktop fire with the now exposed metal heater element still plugged into the mains.

Had to replace the worktop and clean up all the sooted walls the next day.
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                    X