• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manchester Congestion Charge ???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manchester Congestion Charge ???

Roger Jones has come third in Salford...

He was one of the strongest supporters of the congestion charge, I'm sure this will have the other jelly-backs running scared.

I think it's inevitable Manchester will get it at some point.

Maybe not a completely bad thing. They have a good tram system, and if I ever land a gig (or give in and go permie) in central manchester my car will largely be redundant.

Not sure I can afford the city centre lifestyle though. Was there the other weekend and got ripped 5 quid for a pint of cherry beer! I hope it counted as 1 of the 5 a day fruit/veg.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

Maybe not a completely bad thing. They have a good tram system, and if I ever land a gig (or give in and go permie) in central manchester my car will largely be redundant.

Not sure I can afford the city centre lifestyle though. Was there the other weekend and got ripped 5 quid for a pint of cherry beer! I hope it counted as 1 of the 5 a day fruit/veg.
      It isn't certain, the councils need to support it.

I can't believe you can drink cherry beer in Manchester without getting smacked.

Comment

Northern Quarter?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yes the tram system is good, but it is limited in the towns it serves. It is also heavily used as are the local trains. So it comes down to the same old problem of not enough public transport, running at the times when people need it to compete with the car.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            I can't believe you can drink cherry beer in Manchester without getting smacked.

Just thought I'd try it, seeing as I like cherries in general. If it's so poncy why do they sell it?

As for getting smacked. It's that reverse psychology thing. Must be hard to dare drink it in public. Just like the time I faced down some giant of a numbnuts on holiday because he was pestering a group of women I was with. He probably thought I was some black-belt ninja seeing as he could have pulped me without too much trouble if I'd shown any fear.
            Last edited by PAH; 2 May 2008, 09:39.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Just thought I'd try it, seeing as I like cherries in general. If it's so poncy why do they sell it?

As for getting smacked. It's that reverse psychology thing. Must be hard to dare drink it in public. Just like the time I faced down some giant of a numbnuts on holiday because he was pestering a group of women I was with. He probably thought I was some black-belt ninja seeing as he could have pulped me without too much trouble if I'd showed any fear.
              That's why I drink Babycham
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Northern Quarter?

No, I think it was closer to deansgate locks as it was around the corner from granada studios. Not too sure of the area demarkations, only go into manchester a few times a year at most.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

It's not inevitable, and it's not just central manchester, inside the m60 is being touted. This is why Bury has gone back to the Conservatives for the first time since the early 70s. They need 6 out of 10 councils and 4 were opposed, after the drubbing last night it could be 5 or 6 against.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

totally disagree! i live in Rochdale, 13miles from the office. 3 options:
                    1, bus to City centre, bus to office = 1.4hrs travelling
                    2, bus to train station, train, tram or walk across centre, bus to office = 1.5hrs
                    3, car = 45mins.

unless they sort the tram to Rochdale which they have supposedly been doing for years, then i'll always be in car. its also cheaper at approx £2.50 diesel and £3 parking. train ticket alone costs £5.40.

the surrounding councils also need to agree, and there are several not interested, however, if i'm being honest, the congestion charge suggested is only £1 as i avoid the center, so it will be a business expense that is very affordable and no incentive to leave the car anyway!
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X