• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B, 2008 off to a V. good start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B, 2008 off to a V. good start

As some of you know I have an active Plan B that takes me away from C# in order to shoot video of severe weather around the world.

Yesterday was Day 2 of my Spring 2008 campaign to try and get good video of Tornados over the plains of America. As it happens a tornado outbreak occurred and I was able to capture three of them on video – Sadly these storms resulted in the deaths of 8 people across Arkansas.

Monday to Wednesday looks like the Texas Panhandle / Kansas for another round of severe weather.

Lepanto_Tornado

Turrell_Tornado.jpg

I am Also playing with with live reporting tools [all in dev]

Live streaming webcam
    http://live.severestudios.com/stuart.robinson.asx

live GPS tracking
    http://www.stormtrack.co.uk/gps/Private/Main.aspx
    Last edited by wxman; 4 May 2008, 02:30. Reason: more url edits
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

you're a nutter !

good luck sounds more exciting than C#

Comment

Howdy Wxman!

Haven't seen you on here for a while - the weather hasn't been it's usual extreme self for a few weeks... (but the bank holiday hasn't finished yet so I shouldn't be too smug...)

Plan B does look promising - keep up the good (if hurricances, tornados and flooding could be contrued as good) work.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Great plan Wxman, not many people can put "tornado chasing" on their list of hobbies. I find videos of "doom laden" tornados fascinating. It rained a bit here, and there was a bit of a breeze which blew leaves around a bit.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Interesting plan b. Soon you won't need to chase tornadoes, it'll be the other way around!
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Interesting plan b. Soon you won't need to chase tornadoes, it'll be the other way around!
            What clockwise These are rare in the Northern hemisphere I gather, so getting one of those on video could be lucrative.

Comment

Bad Luck

Too bad. Looks like you missed this years biggy. It happened in Burma, with a body count in order of 10k. Didn't know that place suffered from twisters. We'll probably be told it's our fault, due to CO2 induced global warming.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200805...e-04b64de.html

Comment

Chasing the aurora anyone?
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

"When you used to tell me that you chase tornadoes, deep down I thought it was just a metaphor."
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Burma was a Hurricane not a tornado - death toll now 22K - terrible news

Anyway a quick update ...

May 5th Roswell [UFO] Supercell

Interesting Day yesterday over in New Mexico. After leaving Amarillo our target was initially the upslope flow into the mountain regions of Eastern New Mexico. As we approached Clovis, NM storms begain to fire SW of Roswell and we dully target it!

Setting up West of Roswell the updraft was a sculptured LP in nature, However reports from the core to our West indicated 3” hail! – the problem that we then faced was the lack of roads in that part of NM – we elected to take the NE road (back to Clovis) but the storm stayed just south of the road – thus blocking our view on the updraft. At this stage a tornado was reported, and while we were close – our view was blocked by the forward flanking line. (perhaps if we had gone East?)

Finally at Eldia we took a East then south option – meanwhile our storm had morphed into a big moose of a HP storm which would now hide (rain wrap) and tornado that formed. Finally managed to intercept another cell East of Roswell that was tornado warned – but nothing happened.

On route to Clovis (our overnight stop) we encountered one on the best Hail swoth [spelling] that I have ever seen lining on the road.

It crossed the road but was only ½ mile wide – but was a good 2 -3” deep in hail – most were 2 pence size but there was the odd golf ball in there – quite incredible to see. A short way up the road there was no hail at all !!

LP Updraft

Close Tornado

Hail

Live Web cam (only active on the chase) (DEV)
                    http://live.severestudios.com/stuart.robinson.asx

Live GPS position (DEV)
                    http://www.stormtrack.co.uk/gps/Private/Main.aspx
                    Last edited by wxman; 6 May 2008, 14:31. Reason: typo
                    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Working...
                    X