• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL Landlord in trouble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL Landlord in trouble

This weekend returned the keys of a city rental flat to the landlord. This flat was used as weekday accomodation for distance contract. Landlord is a very nice guy with young family who owns 5 (mortgaged) BTL's and until recently had the ambition to go 'professional' with property. He had already gone to part time work in order to have more family time. This time last year everything was rosy in the garden.

Recently though, things have changed big time for him. The 8+% mortgage rates he is servicing has made three of the flats uneconomic. This and high service charges, static rents and falling values risk wiping him out. Now he is back to full time working in order to plug the gaps. He hopes to ride this out. I hope he can, but it could be years and with falling values he can't re-mortgage. I presume he will be stuck on the BTL varible rate of his lender which will hurt. I suppose they would only pull the plug if he cannot service these debts.

Sounds like he had little equity in them?

Comment

Ah! Now it all makes sense.

I wondered to myself "What has this Turion bloke got against landlords?".

The fact that he could buy and sell you perhaps.

Hmmm.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

so this is the btl story you had us all waiting for?
        http://forums.contractoruk.com/532251-post4.html
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          so this is the btl story you had us all waiting for?
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/532251-post4.html
          Yes. you like it? True story and must be replicated 000's of times throughout the country.

Bogey, I love BTL. Renting a flat for remote contracts is cheap and simple now. What will I do when BTL is no more ? Hotels? House share

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            Renting a flat for remote contracts is cheap and simple now.

Any experience of negotiating a shorter initial rental period than 6 months (incase of non-extension of an initial 3 month contract), or is it the law that normal lets must be at least 6 months?

If some landlords may be able to accept a shorter initial period (better than having their btl empty), wondering what sort of sweeteners they may accept if the prospect of getting some rent isn't enough, apart from more cash of course.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Yes. you like it? True story and must be replicated 000's of times throughout the country.

Bogey, I love BTL. Renting a flat for remote contracts is cheap and simple now. What will I do when BTL is no more ? Hotels? House share
              It has always been cheap and simple!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                Any experience of negotiating a shorter initial rental period than 6 months (incase of non-extension of an initial 3 month contract), or is it the law that normal lets must be at least 6 months?

No there is no law against shorter rentals, but there are many agents who think that there is.

Trying to get a shorter term out of an agency rental is normally next to impossible.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

If some landlords may be able to accept a shorter initial period (better than having their btl empty), wondering what sort of sweeteners they may accept if the prospect of getting some rent isn't enough, apart from more cash of course.

Yes, it's possible. This rental was initially 2 months and then extended monthly as needed. Most agents push 6 month min contracts, but you can stil ask for short let. Could cost more of course. Maybe offering 3 months rent up front may be a good sweetener.

Comment

This weekend returned the keys of a city rental flat to the landlord. This flat was used as weekday accomodation for distance contract. Landlord is a very nice guy with young family who owns 5 (mortgaged) BTL's and until recently had the ambition to go 'professional' with property. He had already gone to part time work in order to have more family time. This time last year everything was rosy in the garden.

Recently though, things have changed big time for him. The 8+% mortgage rates he is servicing has made three of the flats uneconomic. This and high service charges, static rents and falling values risk wiping him out. Now he is back to full time working in order to plug the gaps. He hopes to ride this out. I hope he can, but it could be years and with falling values he can't re-mortgage. I presume he will be stuck on the BTL varible rate of his lender which will hurt. I suppose they would only pull the plug if he cannot service these debts.
                    Oh my God!

How you must have w@nked off over it all !

Your posts positively reek of spite and envy.

Comment

Working...
                    X