• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dope at the post office...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dope at the post office...

Cannabis would be sold legally in post offices, in packets that warn against its effects, under a proposal outlined by the head of one of Sydney's major drug and alcohol clinics.

The director of the alcohol and drug service at St Vincent's Hospital, Alex Wodak, said Australia needed to learn from the tobacco industry and the US prohibition in coming to terms with his belief that cannabis would replace cigarettes in consumption levels over the next decade.

"The general principal is that it's not sustainable that we continue to give criminals and corrupt police a monopoly to sell a drug that is soon going to be consumed by more people than tobacco," he said.

"I don't want to see that [industry] fall into the hands of tobacco companies or rapacious businessmen. I'd like to see it fall into the hands of the failed businesspeople Australia seems so good at producing or the Australia Post that seems so successful in driving away customers."

Dr Wodak made the proposal for taxed and legalised cannabis at the Mardi Grass festival in Nimbin yesterday, but said he would be happy to express his opinion to the Federal Government.

"In general terms, among senior doctors, professors, deans, college presidents, I can tell you, from having done a straw poll, there's very strong support for ending the distribution of cannabis by a monopoly of criminals and corrupt police," he said.

"[But] among rank and file doctors, they probably have opinions that represent the opinions of the general community."

Dr Wodak believed his proposal could reduce cannabis consumption, based on comparisons between consumption in Amsterdam and San Francisco.

He chose Australia Post for distribution as it could be regulated and had branches spread across the country.

"What I'm talking about is not pro-cannabis, but it's not anti-cannabis," he said. "It's about reducing cannabis harm and one of those harms is police corruption."

My local post office is owned and managed by Tesco. Every little helps I guess....

Comment

Would his proposal have first and second class cannabis?
      B00med!

Comment

About time. Post office counter staff have always worried me with their frenetic enthusiasm, dashing eagerly to the little perspex windows to keep them staffed as they do. It's about time they took something to slow them down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          About time. Post office counter staff have always worried me with their frenetic enthusiasm, dashing eagerly to the little perspex windows to keep them staffed as they do.
          That does not sound like any Post Office that I have ever been in.

Of course, if they were on the weed then we would expect them to burst out in laughter when they ask you if you want your Special Delivery item delivered before 9am or 1pm next day, knowing full well the likelihood of that actually happening.

Comment

Working...
          X