• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I being unwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being unwise?

Have been looking for my first contract for the last couple of months without success so far. There's one that I might be up for, where I've got a personal recommendation but who knows..

At the same time, I've been looking for permie jobs and after a slow start it looks like there's two that might go to an offer in the next week or two. Neither are the most exiting job in the world but they'd keep the wolf from the door.

All that aside, as a Plan B I've been working on starting a PC repair/installation business. Leaflets and business cards are on their way & I'm working on a website etc. Thing is, I'm getting rather more exited about this than I am anything else and provided that I can get 2 calls I week then that would also keep the wolf from the door.

Am tempted to turn down the permie offers if they come in, in favour of trying to make a go of the business, although of course if I land a gig then I'd take it and just let the PC repair business tick over in the meantime with the occasional evening/weekend job.

Am I being unwise?

It sounds you are displaying the same symptoms of not wanting to work for anyone else that keeps all contractors going.

People with the right mindset will stay contracting, those without it will run back to permie-dom at the first signs of trouble.

How likely do you think those two calls a week are going to be? Although, if you only need two per week then I dread to think what you are planning on charging.

Comment

Originally posted by noob View Post
      Have been looking for my first contract for the last couple of months without success so far. There's one that I might be up for, where I've got a personal recommendation but who knows..

At the same time, I've been looking for permie jobs and after a slow start it looks like there's two that might go to an offer in the next week or two. Neither are the most exiting job in the world but they'd keep the wolf from the door.

All that aside, as a Plan B I've been working on starting a PC repair/installation business. Leaflets and business cards are on their way & I'm working on a website etc. Thing is, I'm getting rather more exited about this than I am anything else and provided that I can get 2 calls I week then that would also keep the wolf from the door.

Am tempted to turn down the permie offers if they come in, in favour of trying to make a go of the business, although of course if I land a gig then I'd take it and just let the PC repair business tick over in the meantime with the occasional evening/weekend job.
      You have three clear options.

Write plus and minus for each. Be honest with yourself.

Not a good market for a new contractor right now - with a decent paying permie job you have a weeks notice for the first 6 months usually.

To become a contractor you need at LEAST 4 months money in the bank. Do you have this? If so, hold on for a contract that you want. If not, get a permie job to keep the wolf at bay.

Comment

With my partners income and another income that we have I only need the Plan B to pull in £500-£600 a month to survive indefinitely while I wait for a contract.

Have enough in the bank to limp along until the Plan B starts earning in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          It sounds you are displaying the same symptoms of not wanting to work for anyone else that keeps all contractors going.

People with the right mindset will stay contracting, those without it will run back to permie-dom at the first signs of trouble.
          WHS

I went back to being a permy for a year, but that was a contract filling a gap before a new permy started that turned into a job offer when the new permy had to pull out, and also after being totally shafted by the after-effects of the dot-com slump, and it was at a wonderful-to-work-at small design studio... I was actually relieved when, during a downturn in their online (as opposed to print) business, they had to make me redundant.

I got an excellent contract (which the client had been trying to fill for three months) within a week, and that lasted for nearly two years, including a lot of working from home. When it came to an end, Y! came a-calling, and although I'm not there any more, things still seem to keep on improving - I don't think I'll work for somebody as an employee ever again
          Last edited by NickFitz; 6 May 2008, 01:54.

Comment

Wilmslooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow,

'To become a contractor you need at LEAST 4 months money in the bank. Do you have this?',

LOL

Milan.

Comment

With my partners income and another income that we have I only need the Plan B to pull in £500-£600 a month to survive indefinitely while I wait for a contract.

Have enough in the bank to limp along until the Plan B starts earning in the meantime.
              With you expenses being so low, your partner to fall back on and your avatar, I would say your contracting prospects are excellent. Do it man

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

How much energy do you have? When I was younger I tried to do the plan A plus the plan B.

My plan Bs never worked though - maybe contracting was all I could handle...

Comment

a PC repair/installation business
                  I've noodled about with similar in my spare time to earn a few extra quid. I'm convinced I could do a lot more with it, but I doubt I could cover my expenses, which are not as low as yours (you lucky *** !).

One word though: don't be surprised at how little people (not companies) are prepared to pay for you to spend ages fixing their virus-ridden computers.

Go for it, and best of luck!

Comment

In the current climate take the permie job. Things may improve later on in the year and if they do you can go contracting then. At the moment we don't know how bad the slow down will be. The strategy at the moment should be play safe. Two months is not abnormal for looking but is a sign of a slow market.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X