• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Duty-free allowance with the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duty-free allowance with the US

I'm travelling to the US for 10 days and I'm trying to work out the rules with tax-free allowances when arriving in the USA and the UK.

Firstly, does it make any difference when I arrive in a country if I live there or not? For instance when I travel in the USA as a tourist, may I still buy tax-free items in the UK airport?

Secondly, as far as I can tell I can bring up to $800 worth of stuff INTO the US from the UK tax-exempt, but only £145 INTO the UK from the US. Is that correct (I'm not including booze or fags)?

Thirdly, if I buy something in a normal US store I will have paid tax on it. So when I bring items back to the UK, does it make any difference if I bought them in a normal store or at a duty-free shop in the airport on my way home? Things are so much cheaper in the US I don't really need to buy them duty-free.

From looking at the rules, it seems if I get an expensive iPod type device (say $400) in the US, it could be over my limit when I return. Is that really the case? There seem to be rules about gift-wrapping things and it's generally confusing me.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Firstly, does it make any difference when I arrive in a country if I live there or not? For instance when I travel in the USA as a tourist, may I still buy tax-free items in the UK airport?

It doesn't make any difference where you live, you can always shop at the airport.

Secondly, as far as I can tell I can bring up to $800 worth of stuff INTO the US from the UK tax-exempt, but only £145 INTO the UK from the US. Is that correct (I'm not including booze or fags)?

Sounds about right - the limit on returning items into the UK is about £150.

Thirdly, if I buy something in a normal US store I will have paid tax on it. So when I bring items back to the UK, does it make any difference if I bought them in a normal store or at a duty-free shop in the airport on my way home? Things are so much cheaper in the US I don't really need to buy them duty-free.

No it doesn't.

From looking at the rules, it seems if I get an expensive iPod type device (say $400) in the US, it could be over my limit when I return. Is that really the case? There seem to be rules about gift-wrapping things and it's generally confusing me.

If you're going to stick to the letter of the law, then you can't do this. However, if you get rid of the packaging how is the customs guy (who probably won't stop you anyway) going to know where you bought it?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If I was just a few pounds over the limit and felt compelled to declare (or was checked) would I pay duty on everything, or only the amount over the limit?

How do they decide how much something is worth? If I have say an iPod touch in the packaging and lost the receipt, what happens?

Is the onus on me to prove I already owned an item, or them to prove I bought it during my stay? A packaged iPod, one could claim "I brought it with me"... they can't prove otherwise but do they work on proof or reasonable doubt?

Comment

I find it's best not to antagonise people who can introduce you to "mr jelly finger"...
        B00med!

Comment

I've never been stopped so I don't know. But this might help answer some qs for you http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

As was stated earlier, lose the packaging and they can never know. I know a guy who used to travel out with a cloth guitar bag, buy an expensive guitar in the states and then bring it back in his tatty bag. Customs never batted an eyelid.

An IPod would be easy to do as you could load a bit of music on it and wear it walking through customs.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Alternatively you could post the items back to yourself
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Alternatively you could post the items back to yourself
                Surely anything posted to the UK is subject to duty? I know things bought from Amazon.com are - although I've only ever been charged the once.

Comment

I can't remember, when you get to the customs check-point, you don't normally have your luggage at this point do you?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I can't remember, when you get to the customs check-point, you don't normally have your luggage at this point do you?
                    Not if you flew through terminal 5....

...but normally yes you do!
                    B00med!

Comment

Working...
                    X