• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well done to all that contributed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done to all that contributed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7385042.stm

A marvellous achievement.

Although I note with interest that the BBC doesn't mention how we bombed the argies during the Falklands War/Campaign/Whatever.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    It was a hell of a flight & the only time it was used in anger...
    I read the book earlier this year. Hell of a lot of planning - and support aircraft!

Marshalls here in Cambridge did a lot of work fitting the relevant fuel probes.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7385042.stm

A marvellous achievement.

Although I note with interest that the BBC doesn't mention how we bombed the argies during the Falklands War/Campaign/Whatever.
      You'd have thought they'd have mentioned it given that Martin Withers, the test pilot mentioned in the article, was the same chappie who was flying the Vulcan that bombed Port Stanley airfield...
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I read the book earlier this year. Hell of a lot of planning - and support aircraft!

Marshalls here in Cambridge did a lot of work fitting the relevant fuel probes.
        Vulcan 607? I read it too, quite amazing the resourcefulness the RAF showed in getting a Vulcan down there.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          You'd have thought they'd have mentioned it given that Martin Withers, the test pilot mentioned in the article, was the same chappie who was flying the Vulcan that bombed Port Stanley airfield...
          We don't want to upset the Argies now, do we?
          (Oh yes we bloody do!!!)

Vulcan 607? I read it too, quite amazing the resourcefulness the RAF showed in getting a Vulcan down there.
          That's the one! At least the Yanks let us use Ascension Island and have some fuel - Which was nice...

Comment

We don't want to upset the Argies now, do we?
            How could they possibly be upset by us bombing our own airfield?

An old mate of mine showed me a picture of a Vulcan using the ground effect to fly below the deck-level of a type 42 destroyer - a quite impressive aircraft.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I like Vulcans

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                How could they possibly be upset by us bombing our own airfield?
                Especially as we missed, which is probably why it isn't mentioned in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
                  Especially as we missed, which is probably why it isn't mentioned in the article.
                  We didn't miss, we hit the edge of the runway, which severely restricted the size of aircraft they could land there.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I saw the last one take off from Waddington in the 90's. Amazing aircraft to hear and watch leave the ground...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X