• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freesat...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freesat...

I see that this has been launched today...

I wonder if this requires different equipment from the bog standard Sky box...

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Which satellite is being used?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Eh?

I've had freesat for ages

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Eh?

I've had freesat for ages
        Different Freesat. The one you have is Freesat from Sky. This is different (carries BBC HD, will have ITV HD).

It comes from the same satellite as Sky TV so you can just plug a Freesat box into an existing Sky dish.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

OK - got it now - it's unencryted stuff on Astra 2d - you need a new box (Sky boxes use encrpytion), but not a new dish (if you already have a Sky one :

Freesat HD Receivers
          Bush BFSAT01HD — £119.99
          Goodmans GFSAT200HD — £149.99
          Grundig GUFSATHD — £149.99
          Humax Foxsat-HD — price unknown
          Freesat SD Receivers
          Bush — £49.99
          Goodmans GFSAT100SD — £69.99
          Grundig GUFSAT01 — £49.99.

Freesat PVR
          No Freesat recorders (PVRs) have yet been formally announced, though Humax have announced their intention to release one several months after the launch date.

Comment

If they release a PVR it might be worth ditching Bt Vision, although I'm loathe to put a dish on the house...
            B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              OK - got it now - it's unencryted stuff on Astra 2d - you need a new box (Sky boxes use encrpytion),
              Sky boxes do unencrypted stuff just fine (otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch the BBC, ITV etc.). Pull your card out if you don't believe me.

I assume what's actually new is they're now doing their own EPG - that's the channel numbers and programme information etc., which the new boxes will use. If you get Sky Freesat with a Sky box, you'll get all the Sky channels listed most of which you won't be able to see. Broadcasters have to pay money to Sky to be on the Sky EPG, so maybe some free channels will decide not to do that and only appear on the new freesat, but you can bet they'll only be scraping the bottom of the barrel shopping channels.

All a bit confusing for the consumer. But an old Sky box will be 99% as good.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                It comes with a free hoodie & shell suit though...
                Tempting...how about a Nova/Corsa with some poorly glued on plastic?
                B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Does this simply mean that C4 is now unencrypted, as BBC & ITV already are?

If so, my £40 Lidl receiver does the job quite admirably already.
                  Channel 4's channels, with the exception of Film4 are encrypted on digital satellite until October 2008. The broadcaster is in negotiations with Sky to allow the channels to be part of Freesat at or near launch, with the exception of Channel 4 HD.

Comment

My parents aim their dish at a German satellite and that's also got hoards of (mostly) free German programs. Mum complained to me (cos I bought and tuned in a replacement reciever, and scarped Sky) that it also has pron at night. Probably not HD though.

Comment

Working...
                    X