• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Rates

I was just musing over my previous contracts and remembered that my daily rate 10 years ago was more than my current daily rate.

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    I was just musing over my previous contracts and remembered that my daily rate 10 years ago was more than my current daily rate.
    I was a student 10 years ago, my daily income was about £20
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Ten years ago, isn't this roughly when New Labour came to power?

Comment

Counting...

11 years and 6 days to be precise.

Comment

I'd suggest you're doing something wrong then...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Same here, though I was probably overpaid back then!

Comment

Thought this was going to be another poll... been a while since we've had a daily rate poll... Wasn't this the last one?
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                I'd suggest you're doing something wrong then...
                Not at all - just goes to show this boom bust cycle. I was in Telecoms then - massive boom - network rollouts all over the world, plump daily rates, then suddenly at the end of 2001 - BUST. Rates halved.

My current rate is only marginally lower than those heady days, but I work in finance now - and I wouldn't be surprised if the rate will be once again cut to the bone for a while very shortly.

I've learned my lesson though .... this time anything (any rate, anywhere) is better than the bench.
                Last edited by Jubber; 6 May 2008, 13:38.

Comment

this time anything (any rate, anywhere) is better than the bench.
                  I'm taking this approach - there aren't to many banks upgrading their core banking application at the moment, and those that I know of are are in Belgium or Kiev.

Consequently, I'm on a reduced rate programming for a software vendor in South West London. Crap rate, crap job but it is VERY convenient.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I'm taking this approach - there aren't to many banks upgrading their core banking application at the moment, and those that I know of are are in Belgium or Kiev.

Consequently, I'm on a reduced rate programming for a software vendor in South West London. Crap rate, crap job but it is VERY convenient.
                    And one thing I would recommend to any noobie contractor is to save save save for a good couple of years, so that you have a serious wedge of cash that you can lean back on during downtimes. Even better is if you can invest that cash to generate residual income - how you do that is up to the individual.

Comment

Working...
                    X