• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gazundering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gazundering

I'd never even heard of this practice before, but CNN were making a big deal of it in the UK housing market last night.
    Coffee's for closers

Common thing

Very common with expensive properties, last minute threat of withdrawal (on exchange day) can result in 10's of 000's 'enforced discounts'. Lot of solicitors now charge the other party if the deal doesn't go through.

Comment

I think what's happening is that people might have offered what was market price for a house 3 or 4 months ago - they're just coming round to exchange time now (especially if there's a chain involved) and the purchaser is realising that they are paying significantly over the odds in today's financial climate. Hence the vendor either readjusts their expectations or loses the sale.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I'd never even heard of this practice before, but CNN were making a big deal of it in the UK housing market last night.

This happens in a downturn, such as in the early '90's. Buyer agrees a price, and then later, decides to offer less. As there are no other buyers around, seller often will accept. Great Property doom story. Please post a link.

Comment

The government introduces those useless and expensive HIPS, but has done nothing to tackle these kind of practices. We should have a system like Scotland in this country, where an accepted offer forms a contract to buy.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            We should have a system like Scotland in this country, where an accepted offer forms a contract to buy.
            Agreed.

Comment

We should have a system like Scotland in this country, where an accepted offer forms a contract to buy.
              That's a plus point for buying at auction. Once the hammer falls, there's no mincing about.

Comment

The government introduces those useless and expensive HIPS, but has done nothing to tackle these kind of practices. We should have a system like Scotland in this country, where an accepted offer forms a contract to buy.
                Absolutely, once a price is agreed thats it!

Of course that means this country would have to adopt a common sense approach to its legislation, and lets be honest, its not like this countries laws are applied with any intelligence is it?

Then again, Scotland still has ist own problems with the offers over system! Surprised this country hasnt adopted that little gem!

Mailman

Comment

I thought a "Gazunder" was another name for a chamber pot (a 'potty' to most of you lot), so called because it "gazunder" the bed. I kid you not.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

When an offer is made and accepted, normally a deposit is taken. The deposit should be set at such a level that the buyer will think twice before gazundering, as they risk losing that money. Simple!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X