• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Estate agents "suffering" in current economic climate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate agents "suffering" in current economic climate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...et.houseprices

In Newton Abbot, estate agent Nigel Green is telling his 70 staff that the cake may be smaller, but that simply means they have got to be more competitive, and take a bigger slice.

He is about to take delivery of his new Aston Martin - "It's the model that was in the last Bond film" - and is still opening new offices. Clearly, there's no need to feel too sorry for him.

Times is 'ard.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    estate agent Nigel Green
    I bet he has a 'hit me' face

Comment

Anyone can be a salesperson in a bull market. Just watch how many will go to the wall now.

What exactly do estate agents do other than protect their own interests? As a 'profession' It really is the last refuge of the shyster/school dunce.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Anyone can be a salesperson in a bull market. Just watch how many will go to the wall now.

What exactly do estate agents do other than protect their own interests? As a 'profession' It really is the last refuge of the shyster/school dunce.

IT contractors

and just like IT contracting estate agency is not a profession
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          IT contractors

Do you think estate agents work as hard as rec-cons? I don't see them doing much selling whenever I have visited or from what others have also experienced. The attitude over the last few years has been take it or leave it, obviously that will no longer suffice and many of the new ones won't have a clue what to do or indeed how to sell.

I'd be interested to hear of any good experiences above and beyond what would be expected
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Phew! bagpuss now has someone else to fight with.

Comment

IT contractors

Go on I'll bite.
              I bet I can acquire and place 10 contractors (your job) before you can either:
              Validate and Verify the software process for a small jet trainer.
              Write a device driver for a graphics card and write the testware for the box it sits in.
              Port the navigation software for a euro fighter from an old 68K mother board to a new ppc and slice it up to b enon platform specific.
              Write the testware for the Tornado ballistic and guided weapons system.
              Write the software for the eurofighter radar.
              Design and write the software to intercept any flight plan introduced which lists banned air frames, operators or country of departure.
              Gather the requirements for any aircraft system.
              Do the design and produce teh UML and other specs for said system.
              Create the testware for said system.
              (some of the above are easier than others. Shortest is a 6 weeker. You should be able to figure out which).

My job.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Go on I'll bite.
                I bet I can acquire and place 10 contractors (your job) before you can either:
                Validate and Verify the software process for a small jet trainer.
                Write a device driver for a graphics card and write the testware for the box it sits in.
                Port the navigation software for a euro fighter from an old 68K mother board to a new ppc and slice it up to b enon platform specific.
                Write the testware for the Tornado ballistic and guided weapons system.
                Write the software for the eurofighter radar.
                Design and write the software to intercept any flight plan introduced which lists banned air frames, operators or country of departure.
                Gather the requirements for any aircraft system.
                Do the design and produce teh UML and other specs for said system.
                Create the testware for said system.
                (some of the above are easier than others. Shortest is a 6 weeker. You should be able to figure out which).

My job.
                I bet I could sell all the crap you build better than you could
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I bet I could sell all the crap you build better than you could
                  I doubt it, eurofighter software is a bit of a closed market...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I doubt it, eurofighter software is a bit of a closed market...
                    I could still sell it

Comment

Working...
                    X