• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That Irish Ice Maiden and the Lady McBeth Ginger from The Apprentice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Irish Ice Maiden and the Lady McBeth Ginger from The Apprentice

That Irish Ice Maiden and the Lady McBeth Ginger 36 year old from The Apprentice:

The Irish one, she was a bit of a snake, the kind of one who divorces you and sets your house on fire afterwards.

The Ginger one, she was a divorcee nightmare ex social worker me thinks gone entrepreneurial .... a deadly combo.

I think the half Jewish candidate should have something similar done to him when the Nazis opened up the Ark in the end scene of Raiders of The Lost Ark .... I mean going to a Muslim Halal butchers to get a Kosher chicken ......... what a muppet !

It just gets better and better ... Britain's young hopefuls and elite ... God Help Us !

Anyone notice the 'good jewish boy' crossing himself on the way into the boardroom..?

Comment

Glad the ginger one got fired unceremoniously at srallan's first opportunity.

The other one was the only one approaching eye candy...

I would

Good decisions though - shamw ginger didn't get fired more theatrically and drawn out, at least she's gone though...
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

It was a cracking task this week, and I can't understand how they could make such a hash of it.

Personally, the first thing I would have done upon hitting the market is to find a "shoe shine boy" (SSB)

Then ask him if he knows anyone who can speak very good English.

(Shoe shine boys know "everyone" in and around a market. They work there all the time)

Once the translator arrives, ask him to pitch the deal to the boy.

The boy's job is to look at the pictures in the book and locate these items. (Shoe shine boys know the market inside out and where shops are located, naturally).

On each picture is a numerical figure. That is my highest price I will pay.

Shoe shine boy's job is to haggle (thus getting the natives to haggle with the natives).

If the shoe shine boy haggles at my highest price, then, oh well...

However, here is the kicker...if, for example, the shoe shine boy haggles and gets the deal lower than my top price, then I save money and the shoe shine boy gets a commission. The more discount the SSB negotiates, the greater wedge in commission he gets, and I am still getting the item cheaper.

Eg, SSB gets 25% of any figure on the difference between my top price and the negotiated price (hence he will be haggling hard to get considerably less than the merchant's price)

It's what I called a "leveraged model" and when you are a stranger in a strange land, then it makes sense to get someone on your side (and incentivise them to help you, by using a carrot approach). Also, the SSB knows the tactics of haggling, being a native, and can outhaggle any of the foreigners.

I suppose that tactic would not have been allowed however.

Glad to see Ginger Eco Social Warrior kicked out. Shame Michael, the "good jewish boy" didn't follow her. As for the Ice Maiden, she did have one good point. "If Sir Alan wants to employ liars and cheats, then I don't want to work for him". My take is that by keeping Michael on, there will be accusations of favouritism (Sir Alan is Jewish isn't he ?). Also, Sir Alan, with Michael's reprieve, is forgiving Michael's terrible ethics (even though Sir Alan did try and condone them as the vagaries of youth)
        Last edited by Board Game Geek; 8 May 2008, 01:42.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

That Irish ice maiden looks like Fergal Sharkey in drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            It was a cracking task this week, and I can't understand how they could make such a hash of it.

Personally, the first thing I would have done upon hitting the market is to find a "shoe shine boy" (SSB)

Then ask him if he knows anyone who can speak very good English.

(Shoe shine boys know "everyone" in and around a market. They work there all the time)

Once the translator arrives, ask him to pitch the deal to the boy.

The boy's job is to look at the pictures in the book and locate these items. (Shoe shine boys know the market inside out and where shops are located, naturally).

On each picture is a numerical figure. That is my highest price I will pay.

Shoe shine boy's job is to haggle (thus getting the natives to haggle with the natives).

If the shoe shine boy haggles at my highest price, then, oh well...

However, here is the kicker...if, for example, the shoe shine boy haggles and gets the deal lower than my top price, then I save money and the shoe shine boy gets a commission. The more discount the SSB negotiates, the greater wedge in commission he gets, and I am still getting the item cheaper.

Eg, SSB gets 25% of any figure on the difference between my top price and the negotiated price (hence he will be haggling hard to get considerably less than the merchant's price)

It's what I called a "leveraged model" and when you are a stranger in a strange land, then it makes sense to get someone on your side (and incentivise them to help you, by using a carrot approach). Also, the SSB knows the tactics of haggling, being a native, and can outhaggle any of the foreigners.

I suppose that tactic would not have been allowed however.

Glad to see Ginger Eco Social Warrior kicked out. Shame Michael, the "good jewish boy" didn't follow her. As for the Ice Maiden, she did have one good point. "If Sir Alan wants to employ liars and cheats, then I don't want to work for him". My take is that by keeping Michael on, there will be accusations of favouritism (Sir Alan is Jewish isn't he ?). Also, Sir Alan, with Michael's reprieve, is forgiving Michael's terrible ethics (even though Sir Alan did try and condone them as the vagaries of youth)

I don't think they were allowed to get an external person (the shoe shine boy) to do their job i.e. to haggle prices down. Good idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
              I don't think they were allowed to get an external person (the shoe shine boy) to do their job i.e. to haggle prices down. Good idea though.
              They were given telephone numbers to do research.

So using an external person to help them would show they had commonsense. After all Sir Alan uses Margret and Nick.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                Delegation, the art of good management.

BGG, a good post. Rather reminiscent of an adventure game. Have you written any?

Comment

I am looking forward to Snaw entering this thread and telling us all about his adventures as a mighty explorer in North Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                    I am looking forward to Snaw entering this thread and telling us all about his adventures as a mighty explorer in North Africa.

Threaded - Shirley?

Comment

Working...
                    X