• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Market

Folks,

I have been contracting for the last 12 years.

Having been out of contract for the last 7 weeks - the market is poor.

Please add your experiences...

Permanent colleages you may wish to wait before taking the plunge...!

Regards

Pete

Originally posted by PeteB17 View Post
    Folks,

Regards

Pete
    I would agree, lots of adverts for the same job and not much else!

Into my 3rd week on the bench on Monday

Comment

Folks,

Regards

Pete
      Sorry to hear that. Can I ask which sector and skills you primarily contract in - if not too personal.

Comment

7 weeks in 12 years? that's nothing. Early last year I was out for 4 months despite everybody saying the market was buzzing.

Comment

I was asked if I wanted to go for this job at £300 two days ago. I refused. Now it's being advertised at £200+

Some clients are playing limbo with rates. It looks like there are some out there willing to go mighty low.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:14. Reason: willing to GO mighty low

Comment

Originally posted by Funkywood View Post
            I was asked if I wanted to go for this job at £300 two days ago. I refused. Now it's being advertised at £200+

Some clients are playing limbo with rates. It looks like there are some out there willing to go mighty low.
            Looking at the skills list, Iif they manage to fill that position with somebody half-decent at around £200, it's a pretty good indication that we're all doomed sooner or later.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkywood View Post

The client might not even know about the rate. Or the agent may have told them "yeah, we can get you someone for 300".

If somebody takes it at that rate sooner or later, that becomes "the rate".
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:15.

Comment

Its not a long-time, so don't worry too much, but take anything that comes and be prepared to drop your rate, as the next few months may get more difficult. I had a look on Jobserve myself, and the market looked quite difficult, but then I'm in banking so that is to be expected.

Good luck.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Folks,

Regards

Pete

I've got 5 months left, then probably a renewal. Client is looking for 4-6 other contractors and can't find any.

Aren't legacy skills and systems wonderful!

Comment

It's shocking out there.

Not been out of contract work for 8 years - been looking several weeks now with no joy.

Things seem pretty bad out there. Looks like I'll be eating into that cashpile for a while...........

Comment

Working...
                    X