• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY mechanics?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY mechanics?

Planned to take my Mark 1 MX5 to work today, but tested it out last night locally – the rad fan is not kicking in.

There are four usual causes – Thermoswitch not working, fuse blown, relay failed, or the fan itself toasted.

Not sure if I am game for some diy diagnostics, or, if I should just take it to a garage and let them handle it. Just relieved I tested it out before the motorway queues which would have killed it off, and got me stranded.

The joys of hobby cars.

can you not short out the fan so its on perm?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Planned to take my Mark 1 MX5 to work today, but tested it out last night locally – the rad fan is not kicking in.

There are four usual causes – Thermoswitch not working, fuse blown, relay failed, or the fan itself toasted.

Not sure if I am game for some diy diagnostics, or, if I should just take it to a garage and let them handle it. Just relieved I tested it out before the motorway queues which would have killed it off, and got me stranded.

The joys of hobby cars.
      Got a Haynes manual? I've managed to avoid toasting a car with a dodgy radiator in the past by putting the internal heater on full blast, as a temporary measure. I'd be up for tinkering with my car if I had the space and the equipment to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        can you not short out the fan so its on perm?
        You can, by bridging the two connectors to the thermoswitch on the radiator with a blade fuse, but it's not recommended.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          You can, by bridging the two connectors to the thermoswitch on the radiator with a blade fuse, but it's not recommended.
          Don’t think it is the thermoswitch as when the aircon fan is on, the rad fan should be on at the same time, hence thinking a toasted fan, or fuse going to the fan. Will have a tinker over the weekend and see what I can find, then give up if not dealt with by Sunday evening I think. It is sunny, so will grab a beer and tinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            Don’t think it is the thermoswitch as when the aircon fan is on, the rad fan should be on at the same time, hence thinking a toasted fan, or fuse going to the fan. Will have a tinker over the weekend and see what I can find, then give up if not dealt with by Sunday evening I think. It is sunny, so will grab a beer and tinker.
            If you short out the connection and it runs, it's not the fan, it's the thermoswitch. The fuse almost certainly runs half a dozen other things; what else isn't working?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

How about this cunning plan:
              1 - Become a highly paid contractor.
              2 - Let your mechanic solve the problem.
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

MX5 & Wilmslow

What a combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  MX5 & Wilmslow

What a combination.
                  I was surprised at that too. I always pictured wilmslow as a cyclist in a tweed jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    The fuse almost certainly runs half a dozen other things; what else isn't working?
                    So I was driving along last night minding my own business,
                    when all of a sudden I see this guy pull onto a A road in a old MX5 with no lights and no indicators.

Comment

Working...
                    X