• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I still can't believe they did that to me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still can't believe they did that to me

Following the success of my Hells Angels story (only one insult from ass-man) I have decided to follow up with another installment from my mis-spent youth.

It was 1976, 'the troubles' were in full swing and I was a young corporal in the British Army. Based in the Outer Hebrides, in Benbecula, my CO told me I was going to a place called St Kilda for a six months tour.
    The day I was due to sail, a storm blew in, so the landing craft was aborted and they got a chopper in from Scotland. They had to get fresh food to the island so they planned ten trips, with me and ten sacks of fresh veggies on the first trip.

So I gets on the chopper , the wind was howling and buffeting and we set off out over the stormy Atlantic. I will never forget seeing that little island coming up over the horizon, surrounded by mountainous waves.

Anyways we arrived over the big 'H', and I could see a dozen soaked faces looking up, one of them was desperate to be on that chopper going home. Then the pilot comes on 'We cant land, too risky, I'll go low, co-pilot, throw the cargo down, Corp, you help him'

We threw the ten sacks down to the waiting soldiers, who chucked them into the back of a rover, I sat back and buckled up, the chopper is rolling all over the place. I put the headset back on and the pilot came on, 'get ready corp, you're staying. Dont jump till the co-pilot gives you a shove'
    I threw my kit bag down onto the H and waited, then I felt a mighty shove and I was flying down towards the ground. It was only ten feet or so but it felt like a mile.

It was too dangerous for the chopper, so it never did make those other nine trips, We didnt see it again for over a week.

hey ho

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 9 May 2008, 08:39.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

You can't believe they chucked you out of a helicopter? What did you expect, a free ride home?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

i take it you were a sapper then? thats were i was nearly posted as a sparky.
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Following the success of my Hells Angels story (only one insult from ass-man) I have decided to follow up with another installment from my mis-spent youth...
        Lots of choppers and H? A very misspent youth!

Comment

EO was the story the one where you did role play and they were gonna come and sort you lot out ? if not, can you tell the story I must have missed it

whoever told the one about the role play that was an excellent story

ta

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Could have been worse; you might have been posted to Rockall...
            Aldershot.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Aldershot.
              the big smoke

Comment

Always remember a friend on mine telling me that as a para in the TA, he'd taken off in 15 aircraft before he got to land in one...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Always remember a friend on mine telling me that as a para in the TA, he'd taken off in 15 aircraft before he got to land in one...
                  They'll all be training jumps then. Last operational jump was Suez...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    They'll all be training jumps then. Last operational jump was Suez...
                    *cough* Falklands

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1934951.ece

Comment

Working...
                    X