• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bupa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bupa

I run a limited company.
    I want BUPA health insurance.
    What's the most tax/cost efficient way of doing this?
    Does it make any difference if I pay for it, out of my personal bank account, and claim as an expense, or if my company pays for it, from the business account? Is it a BIK either way?

Pay for it yourself you tight arse!! You're a contractor after all.

And yes, if the Ltd pays for your health insurance it is a BIK...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
      I run a limited company.
      Does it make any difference if I pay for it, out of my personal bank account, and claim as an expense, or if my company pays for it, from the business account? Is it a BIK either way?
      If the contract is in your company name then you will only be liable for tax as a Benefit In Kind (BIK). However if the contract is in your name and your company foots the bill, then not only will you be liable for tax on the BIK you will also be liable for NIC.

In both cases the company would be liable for NIC at 12.8%

The other point to consider is that company schemes are often more expensive than a private scheme, so do the comparison before you decide which way to go.

Generally keeping it private costs less after all things are considered.

Alan

Comment

I run a limited company.

http://www.wpa.org.uk/ are superb. No quibbles, no excess, 100% rating from me.

As a not for profit company with a heritage of over 100 years you can be confident that on joining WPA the fair treatment of customers is central to our culture and our customers testify to this.

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is BUPA the best one to go with? Last year junior b0redom arrived, and I've been meaning to set up a family health insurance policy.....
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Sorry to hijack the thread, but is BUPA the best one to go with? Last year junior b0redom arrived, and I've been meaning to set up a family health insurance policy.....
            WPA mate.

Comment

I run a limited company.
              BUPA have a IT contractor's scheme which is cheaper than the regular scheme.

Comment

PCG members get a 25% discount...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  BUPA have a IT contractor's scheme which is cheaper than the regular scheme.
                  WPA have a self employed scheme which is cheaper than the regular scheme
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    PCG members get a 25% discount...
                    with BUPA?

Comment

Working...
                    X