• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When to start selling yourself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to start selling yourself?

Ok so I know that it may not be the best time to contract however I have taken the plunge and don't want to look back. My question to you people is when is the best time to start speaking to agencies and getting the CV out?

Most contracts are wanted ASAP but as I am leaving in July it may not be best to start now.

Unix SA

Well it depends if you've sunk that low that you feel you have to sell your body to seedy men for a fiver a gobble.

Milan has done well with his plan B, but it's not for everyone!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Well it depends if you've sunk that low that you feel you have to sell your body to seedy men for a fiver a gobble.

You get FIVE QUID!!! I need a new agent I don't get anything like that much!
      Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
        You get FIVE QUID!!! I need a new agent I don't get anything like that much!
        Who's the current agent ? s****g uk ?

You know the old saying
        'One swallow doesn't make a Spring'

igmc

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

On a more serious note most of the jobs I've got have taken weeks to sort out but on the other hand I know of a lot of people who have an interview Friday and are sat at a desk in their new role at 9am Monday.

I don't think theres a hard and fast rule but personally I'd probably start looking a month before.
          Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by glif View Post
            Ok so I know that it may not be the best time to contract however I have taken the plunge and don't want to look back. My question to you people is when is the best time to start speaking to agencies and getting the CV out?

Most contracts are wanted ASAP but as I am leaving in July it may not be best to start now.

Unix SA
            Usually with about 2 (3 at the most) weeks until you're available.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Comment

Glad to see MF showing the newb the ways of CUK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  Glad to see MF showing the newb the ways of CUK.
                  Yea but who did he learn all these bad habits of eh???

Comment

Start now, chances are you wont get anything immediately and interview practice is always usefull.

Talk to your current employers. If they know you are leaving see if you can negotiate an early get out or at least make them aware you are actively looking and may get an offer at short notice. Chances are they won't care either way anyway.

Tell every agent you talk to you are on two weeks notice and get yourself in front of the client. From there you can talk direct to them and sort out expectations on start dates. Most will take the best part of a month to get things organised anyway. Generally the only people who insist you have to be able to "start tommorow" are the agent's. If the client likes you then 9 times out of 10 they will wait a couple of weeks extra for you to start.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X