• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Reading/Learning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Reading/Learning

Anyone tried this or able to do it and have any good recommendations?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I read the contents of my personal 2-storey library every second saturday.

Threaded

Comment

this was on Derren Brown last week. He didn't show or say how to do it, but he did say that the technique is a lot easier than others might have you believe and can be done by pretty much anyone
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        Yes, I will tell you if it's any good when I finish to read and understand your post.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I tried and failed to learn this.

Every book I ever came across talks about training your eyes to look at groups of words instead of words themselves (less eye movement means greater efficiency and potential speed).

The other thing is about eliminating the habit many of us have of vocalising what we read (either out loud or under our breath) which also slows us down.

Then the trick seems to be to take in larger groups of words at a time as you get better at it, soon taking in whole lines of text at a time etc.

Perhaps my mind is too lazy, but as I practised it, I found myself scanning through the text and taking nothing in.

If anyone has any more tips than this, I'm sure we'd all like to benefit from it.
          When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

The one thing about the Darren Brown demonstration of speed reading and learning is that
            1. the information is not kept for very long by the brain, maybe a week and then recall will be difficult

2. Only precise facts and figures will be remembered. Concepts which involve prior knowledge or properly understanding a body of text are not going to absorbed.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

What I found when doing various techy bootcamps is that I remembered far more and could cover more ground when reading electronic pdf versions of tech manuals over the printed ones.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I was taught speed reading at school as a result I read faster than most people do normally.

I only find the actual speed reading technique useful for finding bits of information in textbooks. It is not a good method for retaining information in long term memory.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.

Woody Allen

Comment

Do a distance learning degree, and lead an incredibly busy life where you really haven't time. By the end of it you can speed read.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X