• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays

Nobody picked up on this yet?

BarCap cutting contractor rates by 10%

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...tractor_rates/

I've had this in the past, and the despite the temptation to tell them to stick it most people roll over and oblige

Hope it's not the start of a trend

Originally posted by Gixxer6 View Post

I've had this in the past, and the despite the temptation to tell them to stick it most people roll over and oblige

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...highlight=Doom

Wasn't given much press by cuk. How does cutting contractors rates by 10% make any significant difference to them?

Comment

My bad . . . must try to pay more attention. Bloody work keeps getting in the way

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer6 View Post

why not. You guys are only too quick to raise your rates when demand is high so why cant the clients enjoy a few market forces themselves?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The rates you City types are on, 10% is probably a few hudred quid a day. Perhaps you can sell one of your Porsches to make up for it?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            why not. You guys are only too quick to raise your rates when demand is high so why cant the clients enjoy a few market forces themselves?
            happy your share is cut then?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Most of us at least work out the contract at the rate agreed.

This is indicative of something I have been trying to show for some time.
              The clients do not and will not work on a B2B basis. More often than not we are a conveniant way for them to circumnavigate the employment laws.
              To them we are temporary employees that they can get rid of at a moments notice or who can be manipulated in any way they please.

When Hector comes along and screws us for being "hidden employees" it is not of our doing, it is the clients. Hector should be chasing them.

If the original legislation had been kept (which targeted them) then we would not have the problems we have.

........ ranting again.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I have no problem with this. If they are invoking notice clauses in contracts we've signed then fine, that is very B2B behaviour. Like Dodgy says, we're all happy to stick our rates up when 'the market' says it's time to do so.

Better to be earning 90% of a lot than 0% of a bit more. If you can move on and maintain/increase your rate then good luck to you.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  happy your share is cut then?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I am very happy with this - if you like the deal, stay. If not, move on. If you want more stability, go permie.

Comment

Working...
                    X