• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phantom interview - advice needed !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom interview - advice needed !

When is an interview not an interview?

Answer: when the Agent confirms it with you but not the client. Yes, it happened to me yesterday and I'm fuming. I needed to book a day off to attend, therefore losing a days' pay, as well as drive 130 miles each way (Diesel ain't cheap these days, not to mention getting stuck on the M25 for an hour in the blazing sun.)

Once arrived I found out the the interviewer was on annual leave so no chance of a cheeky one - all in all a complete wate of time and money.

The question is, what recourse do I have with the Agency, if any? Has anyone else experienced similar, if so what was the outcome?

Perhaps an Agent would like to respond with an 'official' view.

If I'm fortunate enough for the client to rearrange the interview and eventually get an offer, I'll leave it at that.

Yours, on fire.

go find agent

punch agent in face until he chokes on his teeth

try different agency and chalk it down to experience

problem is agents will do anything to try to get you in work including lying to you.

other problem is (and this may not be you) some contractors are really push and can be quite abusive about agents inability to find you interview/work and so say anything to get you off their back

oh and also clients are sometimes middle management who like to be the big I am and to try and look like they are more important than they really are and blag agents with phantom jobs/interviews

it is possible the interviewer was hiding under his desk as he did not have authority/budget to bring you in for interview

Comment

Lose a days pay for some speculative chance. Never! Telephone interviews are the way. Not had a F2F since 2002. Insist on it, especially if you're already in work. For poor sods who have to have f2f you can always do a pre-interview tele interview to sus whether it's worth wasting a day. If client won't do that, you're on to a loser.

PS: Invoice agency for lost earnings

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        Lose a days pay for some speculative chance. Never! Telephone interviews are the way. Not had a F2F since 2002. Insist on it, especially if you're already in work. For poor sods who have to have f2f you can always do a pre-interview tele interview to sus whether it's worth wasting a day. If client won't do that, you're on to a loser.

PS: Invoice agency for lost earnings
        WHS.

Telephone interview or web cam setup. F2F is sooooo permie.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitfire View Post
          When is an interview not an interview?

Answer: when the Agent confirms it with you but not the client. Yes, it happened to me yesterday and I'm fuming. I needed to book a day off to attend, therefore losing a days' pay, as well as drive 130 miles each way (Diesel ain't cheap these days, not to mention getting stuck on the M25 for an hour in the blazing sun.)

Once arrived I found out the the interviewer was on annual leave so no chance of a cheeky one - all in all a complete wate of time and money.

The question is, what recourse do I have with the Agency, if any? Has anyone else experienced similar, if so what was the outcome?

Perhaps an Agent would like to respond with an 'official' view.

If I'm fortunate enough for the client to rearrange the interview and eventually get an offer, I'll leave it at that.

Yours, on fire.
          Is it the fault of the agent or did client lie to him? I have been left standing twice - in both cases it was the client's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Is it the fault of the agent or did client lie to him? I have been left standing twice - in both cases it was the client's fault.
            I get stood up all the time. Maybe I should shower more often.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              In one case chap had been up all night on support - so did not turn up. Someone else took over 20 minutes later.

In the other case chap was running behind schedule. After 30 minutes I left. I guess I should have gone sooner?

Comment

Wait some time until the agent forgets about this folly of his then go to the agency that wasted your time dressed in cycling gear holding a packet addressed to the agent who stiffed you but insist that you require a signiture from the person it is addressed to and not anyone in reception etc. or a colleague ....

When the agent come for the packet smack him as hard as you can and then run off !

Comment

Not exactly, but in permie days once arrived for an interview and found contrary to expectations fostered by agent that salary was about 25% less than I was already earning and job had about zero interest/potential. I was not too polite if I recall. But then I rarely am.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                    Wait some time until the agent forgets about this folly of his then go to the agency that wasted your time dressed in cycling gear holding a packet addressed to the agent who stiffed you but insist that you require a signiture from the person it is addressed to and not anyone in reception etc. or a colleague ....

When the agent come for the packet smack him as hard as you can and then run off !

I might try that on a family solicitor sometime...

Comment

Working...
                    X