• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dipping in and out of technical jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipping in and out of technical jobs

Anyone here dipped in and out of technical roles? Been doing BA roles for a while now, but an old client got in touch, they may have some work for me, only its technical work not sure I want to go back to having no life, and actually be expected to do work I had a few years now of having it so easy, all I have to produce is nicely coloured PowerPoint slides or a word document.

Oh, I have noooo idea why am I posting this on this board, for a split second I thought I may have some sensible direction, then I remembered this is CUK

Comment

Yes time to roll your sleeves up..

Hope things are well
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
        Anyone here dipped in and out of technical roles? Been doing BA roles for a while now, but an old client got in touch, they may have some work for me, only its technical work not sure I want to go back to having no life, and actually be expected to do work I had a few years now of having it so easy, all I have to produce is nicely coloured PowerPoint slides or a word document.

Be honest and tell the client that you are no longer capable of productive work.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Yes time to roll your sleeves up..

Hope things are well
          Things are find BB, how are things your end?
          I am not really sure I should actually do work to earn my rate only fools do that, right? I was once a fool

Comment

So what makes people get out of tech roles? Money? Less Hours? Career, Progression?

Answers on a Postcard! %)

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              Be honest and tell the client that you are no longer capable of productive work.
              Oh they know this very well, they know I haven't done technical work for a while now - for the last few years, I just write the specs for the systmes I am working on... but the job's skills they require is quite complex, and they wont find someone that will match all their criteria, hence, if the budget for the role comes up, I think they are willing to take a chance on me.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                Things are find BB, how are things your end?
                I am not really sure I should actually do work to earn my rate only fools do that, right? I was once a fool
                Hi yes.....I remember ....

Yup I´m fine, not sure the bank is though
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DogTown View Post
                  So what makes people get out of tech roles? Money? Less Hours? Career, Progression?

Answers on a Postcard! %)
                  All of the above for me, also I really really do like doing analysis and design work, love going round chatting to people from different departments (finance, legal, HR, IT, call centres etc etc) its fun and I get paid for it

Comment

Best to keep your tools sharp as well as your management skills, more doors stay open. Also it may provide you with another income, if more work turns up you can sub it out.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X