• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charging quandary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging quandary

I've been invited to an all day end-of-project fishing trip, and the question is should I charge for the day or attend at all? Seems a bit churlish, if not bang out of order, to charge in the circs, but also to turn down the invite whether I then take the day off or go to work as usual.

Also, might it be considered a benefit in kind or, worse still, evidence that in partaking of employee celebrations and rewards I am a disguised employee? Both highly unlikely I'm sure, but worth considering.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot
    I've been invited to an all day end-of-project fishing trip, and the question is should I charge for the day or attend at all? Seems a bit churlish, if not bang out of order, to charge in the circs, but also to turn down the invite whether I then take the day off or go to work as usual.

Also, might it be considered a benefit in kind or, worse still, evidence that in partaking of employee celebrations and rewards I am a disguised employee? Both highly unlikely I'm sure, but worth considering.
    Charge 'em double, it's away from your usual site!
    (Don't forget to bang in the expenses and insult the boss when you're pissed!)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot

You are joking, right?

Think how you would feel, Owl, if you had a beer with your builder, plumber (whatever) as a thank you for getting the job done and he then sent you a bill for his time.

As to its IR35 impact, forget it. Who's to know?

Comment

Charging for a celebratory end-of-project fishing trip?? Come on!!

Comment

I've been invited to an all day end-of-project fishing trip, and the question is should I charge for the day or attend at all?
          Well, I've heard of some slimebag lawyers doing this. But it simply isn't cricket old boy.

Comment

Originally posted by datestamp
            Well, I've heard of some slimebag lawyers doing this. But it simply isn't cricket old boy.
            Nope, it's a fish of a completely different game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
              Charging for a celebratory end-of-project fishing trip?? Come on!!
              And it might be a Hoot

Comment

Even if you planned on charging, you'd have to tell them in advance,
                which would no doubt prompt them to cross you off the list of invitees,
                anyway.

Comment

Business meeting

Must be a sales meeting.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Am i the only one wondering about a company that celebrates an end of project with a bloody fishing trip?????

Comment

Working...
                    X