• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Overdraft Charges.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Overdraft Charges.

Has anyone gone this route to reclaim bank's overdraft charges ? I got another 30 fine yesterday.

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/your-mone...d-charges.aspx

Originally posted by Likely View Post
    Has anyone gone this route to reclaim bank's overdraft charges ? I got another 30 fine yesterday.

No. I don't go overdrawn.

Comment

There are templates letters on various sites - I haven't started that ball rolling yet
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post

It's not a fine, it's a tax on the fiscally stupid.

Comment

I was charged £12 by Natwest Credit cards last month as a late payment fee.

I was somewhat perturbed by this as they've had a direct debit instruction for the last 12 years to always take the minimum payment, something they do even if I've paid the balance in full.

Muppets. It's not as if it's particularly hard either, bearing in mind my bank account is with them too.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            It's not a fine, it's a tax on the fiscally stupid.
            It is a system to generate revenue for banks. It is designed to be. That is why you have to move money back and forth. You are not aware but the type of quid banks generate from fines is comparable to introducing permanent account monthly fees which is what banks are currently threatening to do should they are banned to fine over drafting.

Comment

I got about a grand and a half back from HSBC and Cahoot from charges I ran up about 5 years ago.

(Stu in financially irresponsible permie mode)
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Wasn't it the government that pushed the banks into reducing these charges, and paved the way for actions to reclaim past charges?

Perfect timing, when the aim should be to discourage and reduce personal debt and not add extra burdens on the banks. What a bunch of f***wits. But then we knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                  Wasn't it the government that pushed the banks into reducing these charges, and paved the way for actions to reclaim past charges?

Perfect timing, when the aim should be to discourage and reduce personal debt and not add extra burdens on the banks. What a bunch of f***wits. But then we knew that.
                  I understood that it was about whether the charges were fair. Being charged £30 for exceeding your overdraft by a couple of quid obviously wasn't as it didn't cost the banks anywhere near £30.

Probably doesn't cost them £12 either and they do still seem to be making money .....
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The banks were allowed to place a charge to cover their costs - not fine their customers. There is no way that it costs a bank £30 to send a standardised letter to to tell a customer that they have gone overdrawn. I've had instances where an account has incurred a charge which the HSBC place onto the account 30 days later and it is their charge which pushed the account overdrawn which means another charge in 30 days time.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X