• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temporary Contracts - Which is the best route to take?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary Contracts - Which is the best route to take?

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been asked loads of times but I did try a search and couldn't find any relevant posts .. so here goes ..

I'm in a bit of a fix and was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

I've recently been made redundant and as a consequence taken on some temporary ad-hoc (i.e. between 8 to 14 hours a week) items of work, for a couple of different clients.

I've also got the strong possibility of another temporary contract (1 month or so) starting next week with the role turning into a permi one after that.

What would be the best way to bill for all this work?

Is setting up a ltd company for a couple of months overkill? or is it justified in this case? How about becoming an employee of a company that is already set up ( I've got a couple of mates who are contracting with ltd companies so that could be a possibility ). I understand that an umbrella would be relativity painless but I'd lose out on the non-IR35 chunk of work and at this stage every penny counts.

Before the month-long contract came along I was considering operating as a sole-trader, as the ad-hoc work was not going to exceed 10 days in total, but now the situation is different and I'm not sure which route is best.

Thanks in advance,
    Talus

I cant see any real difference between being in an umbrella or an employee of someone else's ltd co. They would both pay you through PAYE. Setting up a limited company for 2 month is overkill - yes.
    Some agencies will not let you go through a limited co unless you are a director now, and can jump through a few more hoops, there have been a few conversations around this on the forum. I would personally suggest you go for the umbrella route for a couple of months.
    Check how they will charge you - esp as you will be submitting part week invoices - and maybe two for the same week to different organisations. Some will try and double charge. Anything they say GET IT IN WRITING.
    Oh, and avoid Tar---pon. Looks amazingly good - but it won't add up. I was with their predecessor - P4 for 4 months - it ended up with threats of legal action on my part against them.

Comment

Working...
    X