• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else having trouble getting work? - advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else having trouble getting work? - advice needed

Hey everyone,

I am recently new to London, I'm a 2nd/3rd level support analyst with almost 10 years experience, 2 years contracting. I got my 1st contract before I got here through friends where i used to work in Australia so It worked out really well.

Anyway, I have put in for a ton of jobs from CWjobs, Jobserv etc, gotten alot of call backs from recruitment agents only to offer me other roles out of scope or telling me they are putting me forward for an interview telling me my cv is great, sounding very promising but never hear back from them again.

It's been about 4 weeks or so of reasonably hard looking and I'm yet to land a single interview. Everyone back home kept telling me it's easy to find work so what is going on!!!

In Australia I almost have my choice of roles. If something doesn't happen soon i'll have to pack up and go home and it's starting to get really nice and warm lol

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks

James

Originally posted by jamie_in_london View Post
    In Australia I almost have my choice of roles. If something doesn't happen soon i'll have to pack up and go home and it's starting to get really nice and warm lol

Thanks

James
    Book your ticket now.

Comment

The second contract is the hardest to land.
      Luckily you have saved six months worth of money, so live on that like the rest of us have to do.
      Oh and those guys who told you there was plenty of work, you have learned a lesson, never believe what an Australian tells you.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Hey everyone,

I am recently new to London, I'm a 2nd/3rd level support analyst with almost 10 years experience, 2 years contracting. I got my 1st contract before I got here through friends where i used to work in Australia so It worked out really well.

Anyway, I have put in for a ton of jobs from CWjobs, Jobserv etc, gotten alot of call backs from recruitment agents only to offer me other roles out of scope or telling me they are putting me forward for an interview telling me my cv is great, sounding very promising but never hear back from them again.

It's been about 4 weeks or so of reasonably hard looking and I'm yet to land a single interview. Everyone back home kept telling me it's easy to find work so what is going on!!!

Thanks

James
        Time to go permie.....

Seriously. It looks like the Credit Crunch (whatever that means) is moving onto full recession. Spending £20 of diesel on a commute is not exactly helping either.

Times are tough in Blighty at present.

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks

James
          Strange that you've had no interview after 4 weeks, even in a bad market I'd expect interviews after that amount of time. IS there something about your CV that's putting people off maybe?
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            Time to go permie.....

Seriously. It looks like the Credit Crunch (whatever that means) is moving onto full recession. Spending £20 of diesel on a commute is not exactly helping either.

Times are tough in Blighty at present.
            Heard a couple of things this week - friend of mine is getting laid off at Morgan Stanley where there are big cuts, and some ex colleagues at JP Morgan say that of 14000 Bear Sterns people global they're only keeping 4000 ...

Might just be a hard market and increased competition. If you're struggling - lower your rate.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Sounds like you're in the same boat as most of us Jamie.

An old permie friend of mine emmigrated to Australia and has now settled in brisbane. He's working through a brolly and said theres plenty of work there (had lots of offers).

I also spoke to a pimp a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned they were opening a second office out there because of demand.

If I had a visa, I know where I'd be right now...
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post

If I had a visa, I know where I'd be right now...
                How hard are these to get for Brits.?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                  How hard are these to get for Brits.?
                  Depends on your age and qualifications as Oz has a points system.

If you are under 40, have a degree or two and working in a profession where there is a shortage of workers then it's not hard to get in.

If you are younger you can get in on a holiday working visa so no points needed.

Half the people I've met from the UK and have gone over have loved it. It does help if your OH is from there as well. The other half have hated it and come back mainly because they miss all their family and friends'.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Depends on your age and qualifications as Oz has a points system.

If you are under 40, have a degree or two and working in a profession where there is a shortage of workers then it's not hard to get in.

If you are younger you can get in on a holiday working visa so no points needed.

Half the people I've met from the UK and have gone over have loved it. It does help if your OH is from there as well. The other half have hated it and come back mainly because they miss all their family and friends'.
                    I'll spell it out, from my experience of living there.

If you're the sort of person who continually whines about how sh!te things are here, chances are you'll turn up in Aus and after 3 months you'll be whining about how sh!te things are there, all the immigrants (Not brits obviously), it'll be too hot, houses cost too much, you're not getting paid as much as you do in the UK (Common mistake that one) and the telly is rubbish,. You'll last a year maybe then you'll head back home.

I may be way off the mark, but I think the ones who move there in response to thinking the UK is so rubbish, especially people with no experience of living anywhere else are usually the prime candidates to move back. Dunno exact stats but I'd say it's about 1/3 of brits from what I saw. Then people here wonder where the label whinging poms comes from ...

Comment

Working...
                    X