• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on contract rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on contract rate?

I shall soon be entering the world of self-employment and would like to know, do you add VAT to your rates? I presume it would be in the clients interest to have VAT added as they are able to claim it back. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes, I am planning to register for VAT and go the Ltd company route.

Comment

Vat

If that's the case then yes, add it to your invoice.

Have a look at the flat rate scheme as well, it may be to your benefit.

Comment

Some points worth noting: -

1) If you feel you will exceed the VAT threshold register sooner rather than later so that you dont miss out on getting the VAT refunded on purchases.

2) Avoid registering half way through a contract to avoid complications with the client i.e. increase in their invoices.

3) Remember VAT is payable on your invoices the moment you register from but your client wont pay it until they receive an invoice from you with your registration number (hence 2 above). It can take a while to get your number.
        4) Most rates quoted are excluding VAT but be sure to confirm this with your agency and also advise that you will be charging VAT.

Thats all for now....! :-)

Comment

Working...
        X