• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in the US?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in the US?

BF's co is about to split into two US & EU and he might be going to the US, has anyone contracted there? (I can see some advantages of living there, an excuse to buy a Mustang perhaps...)

You can buy horses in this country you know!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Our cousins over the pond do seem to be a liitle bit protective about any non-residents doing work that one of their own could do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        BF's co is about to split into two US & EU and he might be going to the US, has anyone contracted there? (I can see some advantages of living there, an excuse to buy a Mustang perhaps...)
        Didn't know imaginary people could get Green Cards

Comment

I rented a 3.8 mustang when I went to the states. I can honestly say my Toyota MR2 at the time was a much better car. The Mustang could not corner, the gearbox was leaking and the performance was pants, and people wonder why Clarkson slags off Yank cars.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            I rented a 3.8 mustang when I went to the states. I can honestly say my Toyota MR2 at the time was a much better car. The Mustang could not corner, the gearbox was leaking and the performance was pants, and people wonder why Clarkson slags off Yank cars.
            Doesn't need to do much of that out there. I rented a Dodge the size of a small ship the last time I was out there. Apart from the handbrake being a foot pedal I quite liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Doesn't need to do much of that out there. I rented a Dodge the size of a small ship the last time I was out there. Apart from the handbrake being a foot pedal I quite liked it.
              If you drive down the coastal roads you need to corner, an old pick-up truck was no worse, and the Mustang is supposed to be a sports car! No wonder the middle class americans buy european and Japanese.

One thing I will say about the Americans , they drive much better than people in the UK. Lane discipline is better on freeways and they drive in a more relaxed fashion, probably due to the auto gearboxes and big torquey engines.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                I requested a Mustang and was given a Chev Monte Carlo, it was huge, they tried to talk me into an SUV, seriously, I'm 5'3, I doubt I could reach the peddles on some of those cars.

Comment

Over the last two years I've hired a 300C, a convertible Mustang and a convertible Sebring in the US which was the nicest of the lot. The 300C was a land barge that couldn't go round corners and the Mustang had a rotten gear change, couldn't handle either and the interior was of terrible quality. The Sebring was more European, was nicely finished and nicer to drive.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    One thing I will say about the Americans , they drive much better than people in the UK. Lane discipline is better on freeways and they drive in a more relaxed fashion, probably due to the auto gearboxes and big torquey engines.
                    Totally and absolutely disagree. Sorry mate. Lane discipline in the US is non-existent (and I've done thousands of miles in the US). In fact the only reason people can drive as fast as they do on the motorways in the UK is because the lane discipline is so good. And as for being relaxed - try Miami or NY In the rush hour!
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X