• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beware of French rip-offs !!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of French rip-offs !!!

I visited Paris for a couple of days this week to see an old friend. We went to the Bastille area to a bar called 'BAR BAT'. There was a sign outside stating 'HAPPY HOUR' which generally means that drinks prices are half price between 7pm and 9pm.

So, we sat down at about 7.30pm and had a couple of pints of lager each and as the normal price was a hefty 6.50 Euros(over 5 quid!!) per beer we expected a bill for 4 x 3.25 = 13 Euros. The bill was 27 Euros(over 21 quid) for the four beers and we queried their 'mistake', whereby they pointed to very small print at the bottom of the drinks menu which said basically that happy hour gets you a discount of .5 Euro per beer!!!!!

After quite a long argument with the staff we reluctantly paid, but I did tell the management that I would certainly be making people aware of their 'underhand' practice on the internet.

Schoolboy error I'm afraid.

Always check the terms of "Happy Hour" as they vary from bar to bar (let alone country to country).
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Is this a joke? Are you a plank? What makes you think all 'Happy Hours' across the world mean half price?

It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        Is this a joke? Are you a plank? What makes you think all 'Happy Hours' across the world mean half price?

You made my sides splinter

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          I visited Paris for a couple of days this week to see an old friend. We went to the Bastille area to a bar called 'BAR BAT'. There was a sign outside stating 'HAPPY HOUR' which generally means that drinks prices are half price between 7pm and 9pm.

So, we sat down at about 7.30pm and had a couple of pints of lager each and as the normal price was a hefty 6.50 Euros(over 5 quid!!) per beer we expected a bill for 4 x 3.25 = 13 Euros. The bill was 27 Euros(over 21 quid) for the four beers and we queried their 'mistake', whereby they pointed to very small print at the bottom of the drinks menu which said basically that happy hour gets you a discount of .5 Euro per beer!!!!!

After quite a long argument with the staff we reluctantly paid, but I did tell the management that I would certainly be making people aware of their 'underhand' practice on the internet.
          The "Frog + Rosbif" at the bottom end of Rue st Denis http://www.frogpubs.com/english-pub.php?pub=2 does about 25% off on thursdays till 9. Also their pints are pints not 500's.

Comment

The bar owner will be distraught at the loss of business from 50 people on here (of which probably zero are planning a trip to that particular bar in Paris in the next 5 years)
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Schoolboy error I'm afraid.

Always check the terms of "Happy Hour" as they vary from bar to bar (let alone country to country).

Wherever in the world I have been, and I have been to and worked in many countries, and happy hour has been advertised, the discount has been approx 50%. In fact, in another bar in Paris the previous night we did get 50% discount.

My view is that a .5 Euro discount on a 6.5 Euro beer is hardly 'happy hour' and is in fact 'sharp practice' and should be illegal if not openly displayed. They deserve to lose as many customers as possible, as far as I am concerned.

Comment

My view is that a .5 Euro discount on a 6.5 Euro beer is hardly 'happy hour'
                Maybe the French are just less miserable to start with?

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                  The bar owner will be distraught at the loss of business from 50 people on here (of which probably zero are planning a trip to that particular bar in Paris in the next 5 years)

This is just one of the sites I am posting this on, and the main thing is that it makes me feel a bit better. I hate dishonesty!!!!

Comment

Thats nothing
                    I tried to get a beer in the 'Bar Mitzva' near the pastille and they wanted to look at the end of me knob before they would serve me

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X