• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sterling or Euro Travellers' Cheques

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling or Euro Travellers' Cheques

I'm not a widely travelled person, preferring my native shores but ...

... off soon on a family holiday to France for a few weeks.

Am I better getting Sterling or Euro Travellers' cheques.

Pros and cons of each much appreciated.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

You'll find that they prefer Euros over there. You'll also find that you can get them out of the cashpoint machines in much the same way that you get Pounds here.

Comment

But you may pay extortionate charges, Halifax for example charges 2.75% + £1.50 per transaction if you use an ATM abroad.

The only one who does not charge currently is Nationwide.

Comment

Ive never been charged for using my HSBC cards over in Europe.

Best thing is take some cash and use your credit card if you have any.

Mailman

Comment

I use my Nationwide debit card and cash machines all over the world. Simple, convenient and low cost.

Travellers cheques indeed. How 20th century.

Comment

Travellers cheques

Originally posted by ControlG
            I'm not a widely travelled person, preferring my native shores but ...

... off soon on a family holiday to France for a few weeks.

Am I better getting Sterling or Euro Travellers' cheques.

Pros and cons of each much appreciated.
            I bet you are one of those people who only ever takes his car out at weekends for a drive around the countryside

and by the way, when you set off in your "shooting brake" please remember that the middle lane of the motorway is for overtaking, not for cruising.
            Last edited by DodgyAgent; 29 July 2005, 09:02. Reason: adding
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              Ive never been charged for using my HSBC cards over in Europe.

Best thing is take some cash and use your credit card if you have any.

Mailman
              No, you've just never noticed, which is not the same thing. HSBC (amongst others) hide the charge by including it in the line item on your statement in the form of a crappy rate.

Some cash plus Nationwide cards is the way to go.

Overview of the current situation here:

Wise up to the hidden costs of using your plastic abroad
              Last edited by Lucifer Box; 29 July 2005, 09:24.

Comment

Euros travellers cheques will be fine...

If you're driving an English car like a Morris Minor, Austin Princess etc. then it would be best to take a few spare parts with you.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I find that an overseas bank account in Euros helps particularly when I have another with the same bank in GBP. It also helps to have an onshore account with the same people, thus avoiding exchange rate and bank transfer fees.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Puzzled as to why someone who isn't inspired by foreign travel is automatically some doddery old fool who is a menace to other road users; but hey! never mind
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                    X