• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software Ownership Intellectual Rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Ownership Intellectual Rights

I have been working for a client for several years, but recently have "fallen out", he wants me to send him all the software. He states that as he has been paying me for my services and that as it is his company name displayed when you run the applications, he owns the software, but I refuse, I believe I own the software, any thoughts?

same happened to me.

Unless you signed the rights over - you have 'natural' copyright as it was your hand that wrote it.

Check your contract and get a lawyer to look it over.
    Last edited by Fishface; 19 May 2008, 02:09. Reason: error

Comment

Agreed, IPR defaults to the author unless you say something different contractually.

You can, of course, licence its use for a mutually acceptable ongoing fee.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I was looking for a case that was in the news not so long ago, but this is the closest one I can find:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...yright_ruling/
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X